Graycliff Espresso

What is up my gorilla buddies? I haven't posted in this forum for quite a while but I'm back with an all new review for you.

Now I don't normally smoke very many NC's. Probably 1 or 2 every other month or so. I've just been sowing my wild oats in the luxury of Havana's so that leaves me very little time to continue to explore NC's. However, as of late I've received some very nice gifts and trades from some of my ClubStogie Brethren, Opus/AshtonVSG/Graycliff/LGC/LaAromaDeCuba, so I decided to give some of the NC's a shot.

Today I'll be reviewing the Graycliff Espresso Pirate. A very nicely rolled Torpedo with a very flashy band and surprisingly good pre-light aroma for an NC. I was looking forward to this since I had heard so many good things about the flavor and strength of this cigar.

Upon clipping the end and taking the first draw the predominant flavor that hit me was cocoa and a dark tea flavor. Almost like black tea. Now I'm not trying to get fancy or anything with the review but that's what I tasted. Tom, had described these as being almost espresso-like in flavor. Mine wasn't so much a coffee flavor as it was a dark tea flavor. However the cocoa was the major taste coming out. Draw was very easy, a little too easy for my tastes but that's sometimes what you get.

I was surprised at how smooth this cigar was for an NC. Most have a tendency to get harsh either at the onset of the smoke or near the end. This one was an exception. However, it was not as strong as I had been led to believe. Medium bodied to me with no real kick or Pow, even as I finished it up. Don't get me wrong the smoke was still rich and complex but not strong. I guess I was just expecting a powerhouse but it wasn't a bad thing. As I moved down the smoke the cocoa flavors hung in there but the black tea flavor changed into more of an earthy taste. Deep rich earth flavors complemented the cocoa flavor well and kept the smoke dense and full of flavor. A very good experience.

So in summation this was a very good smoke. Medium bodied with lots of flavor. Smooth and Rich and surprisingly good for an NC. It won't make me give up my Habanos by any means but it will be a welcome reprieve for when I feel like somthing different.

Dustin
XXX

Damn it Dustin why couldn't you do a review on a cheap cigar.:r Now I got to go get some Graycliffs. This site is costing me $$$. Hey RJT or King, You got any of these for sale to?:r

Sorry bro, I can't help it! I'm poor as well because of my passion with cigars.... we can be poor and happy together (not in a brokeback way of course)

LasciviousXXX said:
Sorry bro, I can't help it! I'm poor as well because of my passion with cigars.... we can be poor and happy together (not in a brokeback way of course)

:r I can't think of a better thing to be broke over than cigars and fine wine. Guess I'll be bidding on CBID for some Graycliff's now. So much for the monthly budget. :sl

Screw the budget! You only live once bro!

While you're at it you should order a nice aged box of Cubans to offset that box of Graycliffs. I'm sure they'll both cost about the same amount LOL

XXX

Nice review Dustin! I have to agree that sometimes the draw is almost "too loose"...guess it sure beats too tight (in a cigars case, anyways). They certainly aren't a butt-kicker like a Chisel or HdN, but I found them quite complex for an NC. Glad you had a good experience with it!

Thanx Tom, and thanx again for the experience.

You're right they are very rich and complex for an NC. Quite enjoyable!

I guess I had just heard so many guys say it was so strong and full bodied and that these were the strongest Gryacliff's ever. Didn't live up to that particular hype in my mind but they were very yummy nontheless.

XXX

I think they ARE the strongest Graycliff....just that the other Graycliffs are so mild, it's strong in comparison...whaddaya think?

Possibly, I haven't tried the other Graycliffs so I can't comment on their strength. I guess I just got the impression from other's comments that these were really strong and full bodied. Like I said, it wasn't bad that they weren't... I was just expecting them to be.

Still though, they were definitely full of rich flavors that made my mouth water. What did you think of my description of the flavor profile???

Would you agree with the Cocoa, Earth, and Black Tea description? I realize black tea is very specific but that is exactly the aftertaste that I detected when smoking this stick.

I tried som eof the first Espresso's that were gifted to me by Enrico. They were unbelievable good, and damn strong. I have heard other say the strength has waned since the first production of these cigars.

Still like these though.

I just got my five pack in from CB and they have been in the Humi about a week, I cant hardly wait. The smell of them even smell's excellent I just want to take it out and light her up, and this makes me want to even more. Gee Thanks!
Everyone always talks about ISOM's never had one but one of these days,,I'm sure I'll find one laying around somewhere..

LasciviousXXX said:
What did you think of my description of the flavor profile???

Would you agree with the Cocoa, Earth, and Black Tea description? I realize black tea is very specific but that is exactly the aftertaste that I detected when smoking this stick.

That is an interesting take on the Black Tea....I'm going to have to smoke one this week and see if that's the flavor I couldn't put my finger on.

icehog3 said:
That is an interesting take on the Black Tea....I'm going to have to smoke one this week and see if that's the flavor I couldn't put my finger on.

I'm learning the tastes but Black tea is a new one to me.Dont even know what it tastes like..When I smoke mine Friday I'll be sure and pay attention to it.

A nice review!! It's now on my maduro hit-list, though it'll probably be awhile before I'll try them... Ahh well, as long as the need-to-try list remains, the cureousity continues!

Smoked another one of these this week. Received it from a generous gorilla (thanx;)) and it was just as good if not better than the first one I tried.

Overall smooth complex flavors that are a little surprising given the origin of the tobacco. I usually don't find NC cigars that can be this smooth and flavorful.

Still getting that black tea aftertaste but hey, maybe I'm just losing my mind.

Definitely recommend these to all Gorilla's, I think they are getting to be the best NC's I've smoked, not 100% sure yet but they're getting up there :D

XXX

Finally got a fiver at a price I was willing to pay. The robusto.

It started with a cubanesque twang then became very smooth and strong. Smoked it with a Costa Rican coffee which was an excellent match but now I don't know if I was tasting the cigar or the coffee :confused:

But, yeah, awesome :dr

Back