Graycliff's June 11, 2007

Address
Graycliff Hotel, Rest. Spa & Cigar Co.,
8 thru 12 West Hill Street
P. O. Box N10246
Nassau, Bahamas 10246
Phone
1(242) 302-9150 • Toll Free in US & Canada - 1(800) 476 - 0446

Well it's been almost one year since our visit to Graycliff Hotel & Cigar Company in Nassau, Bahamas. It was on the occasion of my oldest daughter's wedding that gave us cause for this wonderful adventure.

From the moment my daughter and son-in-law decided upon the Sandal's Resort on Nassau the planning (Googling & CS searching) began. It wasn't long before I learned of Graycliff's.

My wife and I arrived at Graycliff's mid-morning, June 11, 2007 to reconnoiter for an afternoon visit/pre-wedding celebration to include the bride & groom to be, best man, maid of honor and proud parents.

That afternoon… Once acquainted with the facility we settled in to toast the next days anticipated ceremony with tobacco & spirits whilst relaxing in the opulent smoking lounge that adjoins the rolling room and the Humidor Churrascaria, a carnivore's restaurant in the Brazilian style.

It is the intent of this thread to encourage (entice) anyone considering a trip to Nassau, Bahamas to take the time to visit Graycliff's. Schedule at least a few hours to tour the walled compound taking in the pools and gardens. I could have stayed there all day, smoking and quenching my thirst while my eyes & heart inhaled the humid air laced with the inviting smell of the glorious seductress Nicotiana tobacum :)

So join me if you will on a trip through the West Hill Street entrance, into the Hotel, down the steps into the gardens, past the pools and through the doors that lead to a family of torcedor & torcedoras whose hands perform feats of magic. I know that as bothers and sisters of the leaf you will feel a sense of homecoming.

Let us begin by getting oriented, I have prepared a few images from Google Earth to help with this.

web.jpg

As you can see the island of New Providence, with Nassau the Bahamas most populace city is in good company.

web.jpg

web.jpg

In the previous image I have changed the traditional North/South orientation so as we enter the Graycliff compound we are facing South.

web.jpg

As noted on the West Hill Street entrance plaque the Graycliff facility incorporates the ruins of the oldest church in the Bahamas.

web.jpg

web.jpg

The white columns flank the main hotel entrance, which lies to the left of the Cigar Factory entrance.

web.jpg

Through the gate and up the stairs and into the hotel lobby.
If you are not sure where you are headed ask the friendly liaison in the lobby.

web.jpg

Once you've passed through the hotel and Graycliff's 5-Star Restaurant you can follow the meandering path through the gardens and pools
taking you in a round about way to the Humidor.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Re-entering the building you pass through the Brazilian Style Restaurant and adjoining smoking lounge.
This torcedorian gatekeeper holds the number one rolling station.
As we left that day I handed him a modest tip as an expression of my gratitude for their hospitality, "Gracias que esto está para todos."

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Off to left of the rolling room is a magical tiled sunlit room where this fellow sat alone preparing the leaf.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Another one of the masterful torcedora.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

This women had an old postcard of the hotel entrance pinned to her desk,
the very same one we passed through on our way in. She is bunching.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

My daughter enjoyed the experience as well.
Yeah, I thought those guys where checking her out too.

web.jpg

This woman was tasked with placing the bands on the cigars.

web.jpg

How fortunate it was for me to meet this torcedor and spend some time admiring his work.
It just so happened that the very next evening was Mojito night at the Sandal's Resort and who should show up to roll cigars?
Yep, my new friend and he would not accept my money all evening as I smoked my way though several cigars with my rum drinks.
I did persuade him to accept my Xikar cutter before I retired back to my room that night.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

The petite Roberta Panatella offered me by the floor manager.
I left with a mazo of 25 tied with a piece of pink cloth.

web.jpg

I hold fond memories enjoying cigars and drinks with my daughter and her wedding party.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Looking at these photo brings back the smells and tastes of those moments and bid me return.

web.jpg

web.jpg

I make my exit.

web.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the tour and are inspired to visit Graycliff's or at least sit back and enjoy one of your favorite cigars and a beverage.

If you'd like to see a few more photos that where not included in this pictorial feel free to visit my web site.

Best Regards,

Richard

Last edited:
Wow! That was great Richard, your pics almost made it feel like I was taking the tour! Those look like Salamones, I was not aware of that size in any Graycliff blend. Really cool stuff, thanks for sharing!:ss

Nice pictures!

What is that brass cigar head looking thing for?

It is a copper plumbing fitting that has been modified (sharpened) to be used for cutting a round piece of tobacco used for the cap. :tu

To all… Thanks for all of the supportive comments and patience when waiting for the photos to load. Not for the faint of bandwidth :)

Those were some great pics, I found myself hoping they wouldn't end. It looks like you had a great time, nice job, and thanks for the great pics.:tu

Wow, what a great presentation... Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us Richard!!!

My pleasure, after all of these months figuring out how I was going to share this I am so happy to have it out there and thank you Peter for getting us to the next page :D

Thanks Richard - really appreciate the thread, especially with the amount of time you put in uploading the photos and text to help us udnerstand the tour - very cool stuff.

Back