Green Stripes?

Commander Quan

The Cheese stands alone
Today I was smoking a Padilla 1932 churchill that was burning horribly probably one of the worst uneven burns I've had in a long time. One side of the cigar would burn down and the other side would hardly burn at all, even after multiple corrections. Out of frustration I smashed the cigar into the bottom of my ashtray and decided to rip it apart to find the problem. after pulling apart the leaves I find one of them has these green stripes along the length of it. I've dissected a few cigars before but have never seen something like this. Is this normal? You can clearly see that half the leaf has them and the other half does not. Also the half with the stripes is noticeably lighter in color than the other half, and you can also see how unevenly it was burning from the 2 sides.

greenleaf.jpg

that is a very bizarre looking leaf. I'd like to hear from the knowledgable what this is? Would be interesting to hear what Ernesto Padilla has to say about the leaf as well.

From what i remember hearing before is they are water marks from when the tobacco was not cured correctly and they didnt dry in those spots.

It looks as though the leaf was not properly cured, but what dosent make sense is how did it make it through sorting. and if it was water "spots", seeing as it would have been touching other leafs and the severity of them it seems as though it would have showed up elsewhere also.

I really think this was a problem with the curing. The green streaks looked like places where the leaf was still green. Knowing how the leaves are treated, I have no idea how this is possible unless their was a screwup at the farm and then again at the factory. Regardless of how it happened it was an oversite by more than one person.

Commander Quan, are you interseted in forwarding this thread to Ernesto Padilla, he may want to know or comment about what you found. I was going to forward through Padilla's website unless you'd rather me not.

Ji

Either way it doesn't matter to me. I have very little experience with Padilla products or with Pepin. This cigar was sent to me from someone here as CS so I am at no loss as far as money is concerned. I know lots of folks here really like cigars from this brand and this roller, so I do think an explanation of how something like this could pass through quality control. It's true that cigars are hand made products and not everyone of them can be perfect, but for this to get into a cigar box how many pair so hands did it have to go through?

Back