Growing process and flavors

mikeyj23

Alpha Silverback
I'm in an alcoholic beverage survey class that covers wines, beers, and distilled spirits. We're currently studying French wines, and had a gentleman by the name of Beat Katoun (regional manager for Kobrand Corp) give a very interesting lecture on the production of French wines. He spent a lot of time on how the terroir influences what you taste in your glass, and brought up some very interesting points. He also discussed the AOC at length, which made me wish that Cuban cigars had a governing organization with such high standards and pride (no, Cubatobaco and Habanos S.A. do not apply).

In the discussion of terroir he said that direct or indirect sunlight on the grape clusters is one of the most influential factors in the wine flavors. He said that direct sunlight on the grapes usually results in the plum, strawberry, cherry and other dark fruit flavors we taste in wines, while shade or indirect sunlight results in vegetal and herbacious flavors - bell peppers, brussel sprouts, etc.

Wine and cigars have limitless similarities, and terroir undoubtedly influences the flavors in cigars, but what are some factors that influence tobacco plants like sunlight (among a myriad of other things) influences grape clusters?

Isnt all that intresting? I took a wine class up here in TC. It was incredibly intresting and really opened up my pallate. good stuff.

That direct sun vs indirect is amazing to me how it changes the flavors and such.

With my limited experience and understanding of viticulture, enology, tobacco cultivation, drinking and smoking I would have to agree that a gathering and centralization of tobacco knowledge would be a great benefit to our culture, more than likely resulting in a greater appreciation of a "good" smoke.

Viticulture and enology have advanced through the ages from being a "science" that only existed within families that passed down experiential data from generation to generation evolving to one that is being taught in Universities around the world in places like the University of California Davis.

By attempting to centralize and share data as UC Davis does with such organizations as the Trellis Alliance and their academic programs what was once held closely by passionate and dedicated generations of growers and vintners now benefits the industry and consumer.

In the area of climate, soils, plant sub-species, growing techniques, harvest, drying, curing & fermentation a centralization of practical data where it applies to our passion for tobacco, it's enjoyment and appreciation would certainly be a positive thing.

Perhaps the cultural stigma attached to tobacco has been a hindrance. That is not to say that such information is not out there.

The Stogie Fresh Cigar Science section of their website shares knowledge concerning a few matters of which we speak.

The article titled Cigar Wrapper Blisters-Leaf Grain, by David Diaz, Ed.D., speaks to the levels of potash and magnesium in soils and how that effects the texture of the leaf and color of the ash along with other elements like nicotine content and ultimately our enjoyment.

Who knows, perhaps there is a University or organization somewhere in the world that is gathering the knowledge from generations of passionate families concerning the art & science of tobacco where it applies to the enhancement of our consumption.

I am sure that there is a lot more that can be shared concerning this subject as I continue my personal, practical and observational journey with growing, processing, reading and smoking tobacco. :tu

Last edited:
I recently came across this excerpt from a book titled "Resources and Development of Mexico" By Hubert Howe Bancroft. Published by The Bancroft company, 1893.

The soil of the famous vegas or tobacco plantations of the Vuelta Abajo in Cuba, contains eighty-eight to ninety-two per cent of sand with traces of potash. Soil with more clay will produce a weed surcharged with nicotine, but lacking that delicate aroma that has given the Cuban a world wide fame.

In it he speaks to the concept of soil composition and how it relates to the flavor & strength of the tobacco grown there.

Ever hear the term "you are what you eat"?
It's goes for plants, too. Microenvironments are limitless, and a plant will respond differently to every small difference.
I can grow a tomato of the same variety ten feet away from each other and produce a totally different taste by just putting black earth fabric under one and none under another.
I've studied botany, horticulture, genetics, social anthropology, and soil composition for the last 25-odd years and the best advice I can offer is to think in net aggregate terms rather than individual terms. A single mashed grape from one vine is going to taste different than 1000 mashed grapes from the same vine.
You can apply "you are what you eat" to all plants and animals we eat.
I've gone so far as to grow out two seperate houses of chickens placing each on specific diets just to see the difference in eggs. I took these observations to the umpteenth degree (just like I do everything) and found that the single most important dietetic influence had nothing to do with food. It was leaf mold. Chickens eat composted leaves like they're going out of style, and the improvement in flavor of the eggs is incredible.
I've done studies and tests and selective breeding of dozens upon dozens of species of plants and animals over the years and all that collective knowledge boils down to "you are what you eat", but when I say that, I really mean "you are what you eat, but you are also where you live".
Studying bioenvironments are a source of never-ending complexity and wonderment. I could go on forever about how a host environment creates incredible biodiversity, but it's off-trackish.
You're gonna have fun with this, Mikey!!! :)

Back