Gurkha Class Regent Toro

TU09

Lowland Gorilla
Well, I decided it was time to try my hand at reviewing so here we go. Please feel free to let me know if there is anything that I should add to my reviews or any way to improve them in general. This format is adapted from my cigar dossier, just added a few details such as punctuation, threw in a couple complete sentences, etc. As to my rating system; most cigars I have smoked fall between 7 and 9. In general, anything scoring 8 and above I will happily smoke again, anything under that I will typically avoid after giving it two shots.

General Background: Rested in my humi for about three months. This is the second I have smoked. Smoked in the remnants of Turchin Stadium in Uptown New Orleans while watching the sunset and discussing politics.

Cigar: Gurkha Class Regent Toro

Size: 6 x 50

Prelight Impressions: Rich brown, mottled wrapper. Finely veined. Sweet floral and earthy aromas. Somewhat rounded box press. Produced plenty of smoke.
(8/10)

Construction: Densely packed with a beautiful double cap. Required relighting at about the 3/5ths mark and a couple of minor burn corrections. Slight resistance in the draw, just as I prefer. Held 1.5” of flakey, moderately grey ash.
(7/10)

Flavor: Medium bodied. Started out very smooth with coffee predominating and undertones of burnt cocoa and leather. These flavors persisted throughout the entire cigar with the introduction of subdued grassy notes in the second third, increasing to the strength of the coffee flavor in the final third. A slight spiciness showed up in the last third.
(9/10)

Overall Impression: A very good cigar despite construction issues (relight). Perfect draw. I really enjoyed the flavor and the size/shape of the stick was to my liking as well. I don’t think it is a great value (about $8) but would certainly be happy to smoke more of them.
(8/10)

Score: 8/10

Nice review, keep 'em coming.

I like these as well. Don't pay high b&m prices, the best place to get Gurkha's at great prices is the devil's lair. :mn

:ms NCRM

Good review.

The Nepalese Warrior is a nice variation of this stick, same filler, different wrapper.
NCRadioMan is right, you can get pretty good deals on Gurkha's if you are patient, and they are way overpriced at the B&M's.

This is a good smoke, and I agree with all in your review except the grassy part (??) I don't know what that is, and I didn't detect it at all in those that I have smoked :) I have also had the nepalese Warrior and found it to be a decent smoke but, more of the same; I was a little bored with it.

>>Never met a Gurkha I didn't like.<<

hehe, except the East India Ltd. but that prolly doesn't count even though it's made by K. Hansotia. ;)

I've only tried three different Gurkha lines (there seem to be hundreds of them:dr ). But I preferred both the Gurkha Master Select and the Gurkha Expedition over the Class Regent.

Smoked the torpedo version of this stick tonight and was very pleased. It had been a while since I had smoked one of the regents, kind of went on a legends kick for a while, but this thing was just as tasty as I remember. Very well made and very flavorful. I would really like to find some Gurkhas in a smaller RG but Hansotia doesn't seem to be interested in accomodating me. Was there a subtle redesign of the band recently or is my memory failing me yet again?

I had one of these not too long ago and found it to be a fantastic cigar. Reminded me a bit of the RP Vintage 1990. Best Gurkha I've ever had, by far (though I haven't had a ton of them).

Prices seem to have come down on Gurkhas on CBID over the last month or so. I love this cigar and can't beat the price at CBID - I wish I hadn't bought a bunch 5 months ago, but I guess they are better aged now even though the prices lately seem to be better than when I got them.

Cheers,

BillyBarue

Nice review TU0. I like these myself and found the same burn issues with these although I have not had one go out on me. The box press on this is probably the only thing wrong with it (IMO).

Great review! The regent and nepalese have spots in my humi - great overall sticks!

Yes, you can get these and the NP version on CBID for $2.50 a pop! I just obtained another 10 pack for $24.99. These are very tasty with well aged tobacco throughout.

Yes, you can get these and the NP version on CBID for $2.50 a pop! I just obtained another 10 pack for $24.99. These are very tasty with well aged tobacco throughout.

$2.50 each! I need to spend more time on the devil site! I've bought several through them but, with the exception of the 'specials' section pack they had a few weeks ago, I haven't paid nearly that low a price, although it has been a while. What do you mean by NP version?

$2.50 each! I need to spend more time on the devil site! I've bought several through them but, with the exception of the 'specials' section pack they had a few weeks ago, I haven't paid nearly that low a price, although it has been a while. What do you mean by NP version?

The cammy wrapped Nepalese Warrior Class Regent (same filler, cammy wrapper as opposed to the habano).

The cammy wrapped Nepalese Warrior Class Regent (same filler, cammy wrapper as opposed to the habano).

Now that you mention it, I have heard of these. Never tried one but I'm a huge cammy fan. I'll have to see if I can find these on the devil site soon. Thanks!

Back