Gurkha Fuerte XO's

andrewk

ChestBeater
Just a quick post for now -will add more later (including pre smoke pictures!)

I ordered a 10er of Fuertes on a whim about 3 months ago and never took the time to sample one .. so tonight at about 11pm I had a cup of good dark coffee and an hour on my hands so I decided to take a walk with Gurkha.

First off - this cigar is a beast. Its 6x60 which is just insane, far too big if you ask me. I would have been more pleased with something like a 6x52 of this.
Anyway, the cigar is solidly built Fully packed with tobacco but its kinda ugly. The wrapper on mine was more grey than black - kinda seemed like a sickly looking maduro :p The band is beautiful and definitely is going to be kept.

Toasting the foot, I get a whiff of smoke and it smells incredible! I cant place my finger on exactly what scents but it reminded me of walking in a deep forest. Yummy.

So I get outside and I light it up and the first few draws are nearly perfect. This is a creamy Delicious smoke. Really hard to describe the precise flavors but it was a thick, sugary creamy smoke that tasted faintly of cookie dough! The "fuerte" strength is nowhere to be found - I actually found it to be pretty mellow! A perfect match for my coffee with a tiny bit of cream.

Unfortunatly, just as I left the driveway, I dropped this guy out of my mouth onto the street. It hit foot down, knocking out tons of burning tobacco and cracking the wrapper pretty badly. This makes it hard to comment on construction - but even after the drop, the burn caught up and was way straighter than I would have expected form a 60RG cigar! The draw was screwed up however, since the wrapper was cracked near the foot. D@mn my carelesness!

As i walked I couldn't help but love the huge clouds of smoke reach draw produced and the flavor took a few big twists and turns. It eventually picked up some black licorice flavor that was very pleasing.

After about an hour, my coffee was cold and I wanted to go inside, so I was forced to sacrifice this cigar with ~2.5 inches left on it.

With all the hate on Gurkha I have been hearing lately and the kinda ugly appearance of the cigar, I didn't have very high expectations -but the smoke proved me wrong. I enjoyed every aspect of this smoke and will definitely keep this in my normal rotation. It ranks with my favorite cigars in terms of flavor yet is not similar to a single one of them!

Rather than calling this the Fuerte, the should call it the Grande: Its BIG in size, BIG in smoke volume, has plenty of good BIG flavor, and at ~$2 a stick on cbid, HUGE on value.
:tu:tu:tu

Very nice... Good, solid Gurkha review. Glad to see there isn't only bashing going on around here for my Gurkhas! :tu

Always be your own judge.... A review is a nice place to start but I never didn't smoke a stick because of what I read. Good review.

Good review, thanks.

From my Fuerte experience, a couple months of rest makes a difference so make sure you keep track of when you get them just incase you get some green.

I don't care what "they" say, the Gurkha Fuerte is one of my favorite smokes. And your right, it has a very unique taste that I have yet to find in another cigar. Sorry you dropped it, that pisses me off to no end when that happens.
:ss

I don't care what "they" say, the Gurkha Fuerte is one of my favorite smokes. And your right, it has a very unique taste that I have yet to find in another cigar. Sorry you dropped it, that pisses me off to no end when that happens.
:ss

Good thing I have 9 more to enjoy! I thought I had a good hold on it in my mouth but it went tumbling out anyway- I blame its monsterous size.
Will post my pictures later tonight.

Here are a few pictures (as promised)
The first two look really cool and the last one (white background) really shows its color
IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

Nice review. I enjoy these as well. Wish I had more room in the Humi as I would love to pick up some more and let them age.

Yep, a great smoke. I've found I've been able to get the 12 cigars of cbid for $25-28 if I'm patient. Of course I went overboard and have probably a couple years worth of these. :teeth One problem with them is that they are pretty fragile and I have the wrappers explode on about a third of them. Keeping them at 65% for a few months sure helps.

Nice eview, great cigar. when I got my 1st 10 pk and tasted this cigar ai started keeping my eyes out for good deals from the devil.

Nice to see a review where Gurkha don't get flamed. Good review on a great cigar. I have some of the XO's, but I prefer the toro size.:tu

Back