Gurkha G^3

I recently received this stick as part of the Book and Stogie pass, and being halfway through the book, decided to light it up. I have had these before, and always loved them, so I was looking forward to this stick.

The cigar came wrapped in a cedar band w/black ribbon, just like the fuente sungrowns. The first thing I noticed was that the band is new, just some gold cursive text on a black band, looks much better than the others I’ve smoked, classy. My previous sticks have all had the ‘Big Gold G' band. It smelled almost chocolaty, like good Nicaraguan cigars I’ve had, without the deep earthiness. I looked online and saw that now these come with a full Gurkha double-band, and visually that is my favorite, but this band looks very good, a blend of elegance and taste.

The wrapper has some slight blotches, but was very even for a maduro. It had a big cap (can’t remember double or triple) which made the cut easy. I hate trying to get a cutter between the 2nd and 3rd cap when a cigar has a tiny cap. Cut was easy with my SAK, lit it with the ‘ol reliable Ronson.

The first thing I noticed was the standard Gurkha lack of flavor. I was surprised at this point, as the G^3 was the one Gurkha I relied upon for flavor. I kept going, and after the third puff noticed a stronger ligero flavor that put a pinch of pepper at the back of my throat. “Ahhh, here we go..” I thought.

However, that was the highlight of the first third. Lacking taste, I noticed other things about the cigar. The burn was slightly uneven, and the ash was a nice dense white with one grey streak where the burn was uneven. Smoke was standard; it was there, but not particularly voluminous.

As the night wore on the flavor picked up a tiny bit, you could almost taste the ligero, but I have to say it never approached my expectations. Burn evened out perfectly. The cigar remained bland, and when I accidentally dropped it with an inch to go, I didn’t even both looking to see where it fell.

Overall, I was disappointed. Bland, tasteless cigars are something I’ve come to expect from Gurkha, but I always felt the G^3 (and the shaggy) were the exception to the rule. I’m not gonna give up on this, maybe I got a dud, but I only hope they have not changed the mix to this inferior smoke. Unfortunately I have no info on where/when this stick originated, as it was gifted to me.

I've got one of these tucked away that my wife bought me about a year ago. Looks like something special, but as much talk as there is about Gurkha around here, I've never heard anything about the G3. Thanks for the review, hopefully I'll enjoy mine a little more than you did yours.

The G3 I think is a good cigar. It is more bold than has flavor, but the flavor is good. This cigar goes well with a cup of coffee, or soda in my opinion.
a slight pepper taste and a bit chocolaty.

From your description it sounds more like you had a Hansotia Triple Ligero and not the G3. Did it look like the cigars on the left?
IMG_02293.jpg

They are one of my favorite cigars but do best with a couple to several months on them.

Back