Gurkha Signature 101 Maduro

scottw

Going Commando
Grabbed these as a CI special about 7-8 months ago for $29.99 thought it was a great price and I had never had a Gurkha before. Supposedly they had 3 additional years box aging (didn't tast 3 years old but that's marketing for ya) and are reportedly Kazaid Hansotias special blend that he loves.

Vitola: 6 X 50 Robusto (not a Toro)
Wrapper: Costa Rican maduro
Filler: Honduran, Dominican, Jamaican

Prelight smell is spicy, very spicy and a bit like coffee (faint). Draw was a slight bit tight but this thing is packed with tobacco. The two bands took up half the cigar and Gurkha uses a lot of adhesive on their bands so I took it off rather than burn my hand trying to do it after it was lit.

Toasted and ready to go, the stick opens out rather smooth for how it smelled, peppery but not overpowering, a bit sweet on the tip of the tongue. Body opened a bit on the mild side and the burn was off until about the first inch was through.

Ash held on for about two inches and the stick had mellowed and gained in body. A slight bitter coffee and burnt toast came through here. Burning well.

The final third of the stick lost the mild sweetness and got a bit creamier really enveloping the tounge. A bit of cocoa popped up and I smoked it down to about an inch as it was getting chilly outside.

All in all a good smoke, I like it for the price. Could give it a 7.5-8 out of 10. I paired it with a Yuengling Lager but I think a Highland Single Malt or even a Cafe con Leche would have been awesome with it.

Thanks for listening!!

Back