Habanos Torres 40 Year Aged Ugly Stick

dantzig

Pseudo Gorilla
Habanos Torres 40 Year Aged "Ugly Stick"

Thanks to MithShrike, I have something truly special to review tonight. This is the forth and final cigar that he sent me from Habanos Torres. It is made out of tobacco from Tim's private stash that has been aged for a whopping 40 years! That means that the tobacco in this cigar was harvested in 1967, many years before my birth. That fact alone blows my mind. This cigar came with this warning from MithShrike--"The ugly stick, you'll see, is made from Tim's personal stash of tobacco, 40 years old, and is stronger than a mule's kick. WARNING: Do not drink alcohol, operate any vehicle or heavy machinery, and be near a bathroom if need be after smoking the ugly stick." After reading that, I was scared. Real scared. I heeded his warning and waited for the right time to smoke it.

Here's the beast up close and personal!
P1010002.jpg

The head--
P1010004.jpg

And the foot--
P1010006.jpg

P1010005.jpg

Construction was immaculate! The wrapper felt very thin and delicate yet it was tight and in perfect condition. It was beautifully marbled and smelled of sweet, earthy, rich tobacco.

I wasn't sure how to light the rough foot so I just went for my standard technique--I toasted it and then lit it by puffing and rotating over (but not touching) the flame. It worked fine.

P1010008.jpg

My girlfriend spotted me while I experienced this cigar. I took the first puff while standing up and she cracked up when it almost knocked me on my butt! This baby was strong! Very thick white smoke. Smooth as butter. Primary taste of earthy tobacco with a slight sweetness. I showed it the respect it deserved and sat down for the rest of the session. As I was still a bit cocky, I tried to snork this cigar a bit. My eyes turned to glass and my girlfriend laughed some more.

The burn was nice and even but did follow the wrapper just a little.
P1010009.jpg

1/3 of the way in, some citrus notes emerged and the earthy tobacco flavor became even stronger. This is about what I imagined that a strong ISOM would taste like from reading descriptions of them. The nicotine was hitting me hard. I felt like I had already smoked a whole medium-full bodied cigar at this point.

P1010010.jpg

Halfway through, some cedar popped up along with all of the previous flavors. I was having a bit of trouble keeping up at this point. I had consumed a full breakfast of blueberry pancakes and vegetarian sausage with lots of real maple syrup so I though I would be able to handle anything but I had to set this cigar down after every puff for a minute or so. I had been drinking filtered water up to this point but now I had to switch to my (now cold) quad Americano with sugar and milk to help counteract the nicotine. I had my girlfriend try it to prove that I wasn't a wimp. She said "oh my God that's strong", immediately went inside and did not return.

P1010013.jpg

The world was spinning around me at this point but I couldn't stop. It was delicious. Perhaps I'm a masochist. While I didn't take any more pictures, I did smoke this devil to the nub (1/2-3/4" remaining). It never got hot or harsh but just kept kicking my butt all over the place. Somehow, I made it inside my house and to my bedroom. I laid down for who knows how long. Time had stopped. I didn't get sick, I just couldn't stand up. I felt quite euphoric.

Sadly, this is probably the last Habanos Torres cigar that I will have the opportunity to smoke for quite some time. Another HUGE thanks to MithShrike and Tim at Habanos Torres for setting a new benchmark for the best (and strongest) cigars that I have ever experienced!

I know how it is. When I smoked mine Friday... can't remember which Friday... I was able to walk and talk but I had drooled all down the front of my shirt.

Awesome review I'll make sure Tim sees this tomorrow.

Great review! I'll have to pick one of these up soon. So the question is...think you could do it again? :)

Without hesitation. Now, I'm not sure if these cigars are available to everyone or just Matt. If you get a chance to have one, let me know how you handle it! :ss

I have seen a couple threads about Habanos Torres smokes. All of them I have seen have made my mouth water. I hope one day I can be lucky enough to try one. Great review and thanks for the pics.:tu

The one Mithshike hooked me up with is the next in line! I can't wait, but I'll have to until the next decent day. I should have gotten an Ugly stick to pass around the Absinthe party I'll be having in a couple weeks. :al:ss

The one Mithshike hooked me up with is the next in line! I can't wait, but I'll have to until the next decent day. I should have gotten an Ugly stick to pass around the Absinthe party I'll be having in a couple weeks. :al:ss

Ah yeah watch out for that absinthe... Fiber optic trees... The third Matrix still sucked even after three glasses of absinthe.

why would 40 years aged tobacco be so strong? after such an extended period, shouldn't the tobacco have mellowed, smoothed out? is there some other "component", unmentioned, at play in this cigar?

just curious...

why would 40 years aged tobacco be so strong? after such an extended period, shouldn't the tobacco have mellowed, smoothed out? is there some other "component", unmentioned, at play in this cigar?

just curious...

It is ridiculously smooth but has lost none of its strength. Tim always says that the tobacco he uses is properly fermented, cured, and aged.

just curious...

It was incredibly smooth but still incredibly strong if that makes sense. The tobacco felt very different than I had felt on any other cigar. It seemed quite thin and fragile and had some marbling from the oils. I don't doubt that this was some highly aged tobacco :ss

Sorry if I missed it somewhere else, but when is Tim moving and to where? I may try to make it to the grand opening if it's not invite only.

why would 40 years aged tobacco be so strong? after such an extended period, shouldn't the tobacco have mellowed, smoothed out?

I'm sorry, but I have to agree...at LoL Herf I got to enjoy a RyJ Cazadore (listed as the strongest cigar in Cuba's current production) from 1988, and believe me, it was FAR more flavor than kick!!!!

In a word...it was GLORIOUS!!!!!!

(Navydoc, you got the rest of those sticks from the speedherf...am I right about the date??)

Sorry if I missed it somewhere else, but when is Tim moving and to where? I may try to make it to the grand opening if it's not invite only.

Not moving, opening a second location. No word yet on grand opening. Most likely the week before Christmas though.

Back