Happy 80th to My Dad

gnukfu

Smokin and Jokin
My Dad would have been 80 years old today. He died when he was 49 (way too young). I never got a chance to really know him because I was a rebellious teenager in the 70's. I always looked up to him, however, but never told him because I was too "cool". He was in the Air Force, then worked and went to college, graduating from Providence College at the top of his class. He worked as an agent for the IRS - he was basically an accountant's accountant; a meticulous person. I went to college because of the example he set and he passed away 3 months before I got my degree in Chemical Engineering. It hurt not having him at my graduation. I'm 50 years old now but I still think of him every day. Happy Brithday Dad! :ss

I tried uploading some picture but they are in .tif format which photobucket and Club Stogie don't like so here are a couple of pictures of him in a friendlier format.

Airman of the Month in the Air Force
DadAirmanofTheMonth1952001.jpg

At home doing something in the yard
DadSummerof1957.jpg

To celebrate his birthday I'm lighting up this 80th anniversary for his 80th birthday!
DSCN0780.jpg

That's a great way to remember him, and a great tribute post...thank you for letting us all share this with you!

As a dad and having parent's in their 80s, it is good to see them still getting around and doing well. I lost my Dad 20 years ago this past October. Mom and my Mother-In-Law are both in their 80s and are doing well. As children and as parents we make lots of mistakes but our parents know in their heart that growing up is painful for both of us, both the child and the parent. I spoke with Mom just yesterday and she is real proud of her child and all of her grandchildren. Looks like we have come full circle. Looks to me like you Dad didn't do to bad in raising his son. Maybe he always knew that too. :2

Great tribute. Have you ever thought of getting his portrait tattooed? That pic in the uniform would make a great one. Peace.

Sounds like the perfect cigar to remember your Dad on his 80th. I am gonna light a cigar in about 10 minutes, and this one will be dedicated to George Tompsett Jr.

Looks like you're honoring the memory of your dad in a big way brother. HBD to him and I hope you enjoy this day and your cigar to honor him. :tu:tu

Sounds like the perfect cigar to smoke in his honor.

Enjoying an Cabaiguan Imperiales in his now right now.

Thank you for the kind words everyone, makes this day more special. The cigar was great and the memories even better. :tu

Amazing tribute to your father he sounds like a great man. I am sure he realized you were a teen and thats what teens do (i was the same way). Fathers realize we will be like that if they will admit to it or not. If he was a father who did not realize and refused to tell himself this i'm sure he is watching you right now with great pride to see you succeeding in life and is very honored to be your father. Thanks for sharing this bit of info with us and sharing a special day with us.

Back