Hard TO Cut Cap

catfishm2

Sneaky Bombin Bastage
Last night I decided to smoke a Padron 2000 maduro out of a box that had been in the humi about 6 months. I used my Xikar which I know is sharp. Never had a problem with a cigar before; one snip and that's it. This thing took two hands squeezing as hard as I could. I thought for a minute I might have to get the bolt cutters. I've never had this happen before. Was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem before and what might have caused it. Thanks!

After you finished cutting it, did you notice any large veins in the filler? They can be a little hard to get through.

Love the Padron 2000 & 3000, but they have always had one flaw the cap.

I now only punch them and it seems to work great.

Usually when I have difficulties cutting the cap its because of veiny baccy. I'd like to try a punch instead of my clipper. Anyone think a punch is better than clippers?

Xikars are nice and sharp but the design allows some slop which can result in increased effort. I am probably going to get rid of my Xi2 here soon, I like my Palio soo much better. I just got ahold of some single blade[/i] cutters I think I also like better than my Xikar, they are called Havana cutters, and are only 4 bucks.

I used to swear by a punch and now I can't stand them... go figure..

-Matt-

I haven't had this experience, but I have noticed that the caps on Padrons aren't as nice as other cigars. I've been using a V-cutter a lot lately so I haven't encountered anything like this.

I have had problems with v-cutters and punches. I know have a very sharp blade. I slice a thin line around the entire cap and off it comes. It works great on all be the torpedo, ... sized. I am still working on those.

I love my Xikar! It's sharp, cuts clean and feels good in my hand. Catfishm2, glad to see you use one too! As for the Padron caps, a roll between my thumb and forefinger with gentle pressure does the trick. Makes the cut clean and easy.

I was thinking viens, but if it was as hard as you say it could be a combo of what Nely and CL, large viens and plugged...now that would be a BI*CH!

Thanks everyone! When I did get it cut the prelight draw was a little harder than i like, but wasn't as bad as some I've had. Same with smoking; a little hard and not much smoke, but not the worst. I was so aggravated by the time I got it cut, I really didn't notice if there was a vein of any size. After hearing everyone's comments, I believe now it may have been a combination of the two. Thanks to everyone for your help!

Back