Has anyone here...

ScottishSmoker

A Cat eating Spaghetti...
Has anyone here ever started smoking one of their favorite cigars only for some odd freak reason to become totally disinterested with it midsmoke? I do not know whats wrong with me, I just started smoking an Anshton VSG Tres Mystique and had to put it out because, all of a sudden, I just did not want that flavor all of a sudden...

Been there. After trying 4 or 5 new smokes that I just didn't care for, I needed a good smoke and pulled out a favorite and it didn't do it for me. May have just been the conditions or what you had to eat or drink before hand. For me it was just my tastes changing. Some smokes I used to enjoy I will probably never buy again.

Been there. After trying 4 or 5 new smokes that I just didn't care for, I needed a good smoke and pulled out a favorite and it didn't do it for me. May have just been the conditions or what you had to eat or drink before hand. For me it was just my tastes changing. Some smokes I used to enjoy I will probably never buy again.

Word. :2

Also, state of mind, mood, weather, etc. can all impact your smoking experience. Try it again in a week or two and you may find that it self-corrects.

I understand that. Some cigars I have had develop a nasty tar flavor towards the middle/end and I just cant take it anymore.. I wonder if purging would help this?!?

Has anyone here ever started smoking one of their favorite cigars only for some odd freak reason to become totally disinterested with it midsmoke?
More often than I'd care to admit, unfortunately. I ended up throwing away half of an Añejo 48 recently. I hated to do it; there was absolutely nothing wrong with the smoke, I just simply lost interest.

My tastes have changed over the last 3 years. I thought I knew what I liked, and I still have my go-to sticks, but even those I have to be in the mood for.

Now that I have gone to the dark side, well, we will just have to see how many NCs get pitched half way

Sadly, there is always the inconsistency bug~a~boo. As we all know cigars are handmade. The first one you have the buncher may have gotten it 'just right', next cigar a tad too much ligero, etc etc. This can happen even from the same box. A few days ago I smoked Cigar A and it blew me away, I was so pleased. Smoked the same cigar from the same box....and I was like 'what was that blew me away???'
I don't think any of us BOTL want our cigars to become McDonald's like. Wherever you go in the world, a McDonald's hamburger tastes pretty much the same, via mass production and everything being cookie cuttered.

I've just come to accept that in every box, there are going to be cigars that 'do it for me' and those that fall a bit short.:ss

I'm not much a fan of tossing a VSG Tres Mystique but I have been through that with some cheaper go to smokes

I understand that. Some cigars I have had develop a nasty tar flavor towards the middle/end and I just cant take it anymore.. I wonder if purging would help this?!?

Purging can often help, but its value varies from cigar to cigar, I'm learning. Example: a few nights ago, I purged a Monte #2 at the 2/3 mark and it improved dramatically; last night, did the same thing with a CAO Brazilia and nada. It's been my experience that you don't have anything to lose by trying...

I had that happen with a 5 Vegas the other night. I was finally trying out my new "man patio" off the garage. For some reason the thing just wasn't doing it for me. I just smoked through it.

When this has happened to me, it seemed to be my mood, taste, situation, etc. When the stick is at fault there is usually something in particular about the flavor that you can pin down. An "off" flavor, a bad flavor or a harsh flavor can put you off a stick, but when one just loses interest it seems to be the person's taste. Sunday I smoked a particular stick that wowed me the last time I smoked it and this time it was just alright. At some point I realized I had a little sinus blockage.

The flavors in a cigar are so complex it challenges the smoker sometimes to appreciate it.

The times it has happened to me was my palate was bored with the cigar. I will go on two phases; first phase, smoke what I know I like. second phase smoke new cigars that I want to try.

Golden rule, never smoke a cigar you are not interested in. When I have done that I never had a great smoking experience. Also, always buy the cigar you want to smoke. If you settle you woill not be happy.

I love the VSG line of smokes so when a new B&M opened I grabbed a single VSG and went home to smoke. Man it tasted like crap. I now understand the reason why - The smoke was very wet, probably around 75%. All of my previous VSG's were stored at 65%. I verified that my taste hadn't changed with another VSG from my stash last week - Very good - :ss :ss :ss

Purging can often help, but its value varies from cigar to cigar, I'm learning. Example: a few nights ago, I purged a Monte #2 at the 2/3 mark and it improved dramatically; last night, did the same thing with a CAO Brazilia and nada. It's been my experience that you don't have anything to lose by trying...
:tpd:

I have had a few of my favorite smokes go south on me and I've brought them back to life by purging.

I actually just did that with this Indian Tobac Maduro I'm puffing on. Taste started to go bad, and purging helped! Good Luck :ss

Thanks for that info!:ss

Has anyone here ever started smoking one of their favorite cigars only for some odd freak reason to become totally disinterested with it midsmoke? I do not know whats wrong with me, I just started smoking an Anshton VSG Tres Mystique and had to put it out because, all of a sudden, I just did not want that flavor all of a sudden...

I think that can happen with anything. Cigars, food, drink whatever sometimes I just hit a point where "I'm done" has nothing to do with anything being wrong with the item I have just had enough. Sometimes due to cost or situation you force yourself to finish but the joy isn't there even if you don't mind finishing it per se. When it becomes consuming as opposed to enjoying it just isn't worth it to me. I finally got to a point where I apprecitated/got more value from stopping at that point and being happy than trying to somehow recoup my losses. You are lucky in that usually that point is after you are finished and you are still wanting more.:D

I typically find that problem occurs when I am smoking alone. Some of the best smokes that I have ever had were when I was around others also smoking...and of course a few drinks. But, for some reason, I can have the same smoke on my front porch and find that it tastes totally different.

The answer to my problem, as it should be for you, HERF OFTEN!!! :ss

I typically find that problem occurs when I am smoking alone. Some of the best smokes that I have ever had were when I was around others also smoking...and of course a few drinks. But, for some reason, I can have the same smoke on my front porch and find that it tastes totally different.

The answer to my problem, as it should be for you, HERF OFTEN!!! :ss

:tpd:

Back