Havana Seed Cigars?

Mr.Lordi

Gorilla
I've seen a couple of these at the local B&M, and was wondering if anyone has had them and if they are any good? My thoughts when seeing them was that they are a trap for people who assumed that just because it says Havana seed that they would be as good as a Cuban, when in reality it is more than just seeds that would make a Cuban a Cuban.

So, good or a trap for those not in the know?

If a topic like this has been done all ready, I am sorry. I did a search, but it brought up so many topics and I wasn't sure how to narrow my search with something vague like this.

I've seen a couple of these at the local B&M, and was wondering if anyone has had them and if they are any good? My thoughts when seeing them was that they are a trap for people who assumed that just because it says Havana seed that they would be as good as a Cuban, when in reality it is more than just seeds that would make a Cuban a Cuban.

So, good or a trap for those not in the know?

It could be good or it could be a trap or it could be both. Let me put it this way, there are some fantastic NC cigars out there that are made with "Cuban seed" and they are trully great. They don't taste like a true Habana but the point is that they are good cigars in their own right. I like both, it depends on what I'm in the mood for.

Don't judge a cigar on where it came from but rather whether it tastes good to you. In the end that's all that matters.

One of my favorite cigars in the world is Padron which has very little to do with ISOM's.

"Havana Seed" usually refers to tobacco grown from seeds that were originally taken from Cuban stock. Many generations could have passed from the original plantings.

Who cares what it is, as long as you like it. Some people take off the bands when they smoke for that reason. All that matters is that they like it.

It could be good or it could be a trap or it could be both. Let me put it this way, there are some fantastic NC cigars out there that are made with "Cuban seed" and they are trully great. They don't taste like a true Habana but the point is that they are good cigars in their own right. I like both, it depends on what I'm in the mood for.

Don't judge a cigar on where it came from but rather whether it tastes good to you. In the end that's all that matters.

One of my favorite cigars in the world is Padron which has very little to do with ISOM's.

I agree. I love Macanudos and a lot of C.A.O's brands that I have tried so far. The wrapper caught my eye though, until I saw Havana seed on it, which leads me to think that maybe they were trying to get people to think it is a legal Cuban and buy them, when in reality they suck.

I don't think the cuban seed makes much difference. Cuban cigars are considered to be good partly because Cuba is considered one of the best climates and soil conditions for producing quality tobacco but also partly because they have very good cigar makers. I have had very lousy cuban cigars for sure, so just because a tobacco is grown from the seeds of a cuban originated plant is in no way a gurantee that it will be a good smoke. Bottom line...as stated before...buy what you enjoy. Don't get caught in the Cuban seed hype.

Are you talking about cigars that use Cuban seeds that are grown in other countries or are you talking about the cigars made by Pinar that suppossedly have pre-embargo cuban tobacco.

Are you talking about cigars that use Cuban seeds that are grown in other countries or are you talking about the cigars made by Pinar that suppossedly have pre-embargo cuban tobacco.

I don't recall. It had a orange and green band. I think it is the one made from Cuban seed, not pre embargo tobacco.

I don't recall. It had a orange and green band. I think it is the one made from Cuban seed, not pre embargo tobacco.

I was just asking because at the shop I work at we sell those Pinars and I get asked about them all the time. A lot of manufactures use cuban seed and it is what it is, it is not the same as a Cuban cigar and you will not find the flavor that a Cuban cigar produces unless it is a real Cuban cigar. The Oliva company and Camacho use Cuban seed as long with a lot of other manufactures, don't really take it for being Cuban seed look more to where the tobacco was grown, that gives you a bit more of an idea on how the cigar will taste.

I was just asking because at the shop I work at we sell those Pinars and I get asked about them all the time. A lot of manufactures use cuban seed and it is what it is, it is not the same as a Cuban cigar and you will not find the flavor that a Cuban cigar produces unless it is a real Cuban cigar. The Oliva company and Camacho use Cuban seed as long with a lot of other manufactures, don't really take it for being Cuban seed look more to where the tobacco was grown, that gives you a bit more of an idea on how the cigar will taste.

I might try one just to see what it is like. There cheap if I recall, so I'll get what I pay for it it sucks.

Thanks for the replies.

If Cuban seed isn't grown in Cuban soil and climate it just ain't the same. Still can be real good though.:ss

Back