HdM Excalibur 1066

partagaspete

I Do Medical Things
Just got a box in yesterday of this much maligned stick. I must say If this was any bit "travel shocked" I can't wait to try one when they are better.

Pre light was nice, not great, but nice. Burn was very even with a good amount of very aromatic smoke. Woody is the prevelent flavor with some mild sweet spice, cocoa, and coffee flavors floating in and out. Overall I am very glad I took a chance on a box of these definately worth the price. lets see how the rest go.

T

kansashat said:
Which size did you get? I like the Merlin. Excellent cigar.

I purchased the King Arthur. I am loaded with robusto's or I think I would have gotten the Merlin. I think I'll try th Lancelot next time I buy these.

have some Dark Knights sitting around.. Will post when I pull one out.. I will let them rest for a while..

partagaspete said:
Just got a box in yesterday of this much maligned stick. I must say If this was any bit "travel shocked" I can't wait to try one when they are better.

Pre light was nice, not great, but nice. Burn was very even with a good amount of very aromatic smoke. Woody is the prevelent flavor with some mild sweet spice, cocoa, and coffee flavors floating in and out. Overall I am very glad I took a chance on a box of these definately worth the price. lets see how the rest go.

T

"Much maligned"...I'm very surprised to hear that. I've always been a fan of most all of HdM's lines. Regular, 1066, Excaliber, Dark Sumatra.

I'm glad that you are enjoying this cigar. I agree that this is a very tasty cigar and really a nice, nice value.

Hoss

CigarHoss said:
"Much maligned"...I'm very surprised to hear that. I've always been a fan of most all of HdM's lines. Regular, 1066, Excaliber, Dark Sumatra.

I'm glad that you are enjoying this cigar. I agree that this is a very tasty cigar and really a nice, nice value.

Hoss

As for the "much maligned" comment I've heard (and read) some real negative comments about these such as unraveling andf all kinds of stuff...Mine are real good and I will buy them again.

partagaspete said:
As for the "much maligned" comment I've heard (and read) some real negative comments about these such as unraveling andf all kinds of stuff...Mine are real good and I will buy them again.

I buy them again, and again, and again. It's definitely one of a handfull of my "go to" brands.

The 1066's are great cigars. On of the first real great cigars that I tried. I think they are a camaroon Wrapper. I have had some construction problems with them But I attributed this to my Humidor not being in the right range for this cigar. I have had trouble when ever my humidor goes below 69% RH these cigars seem to have a problem for me. Just an observation i have seen. I may be way off base and just have a coincidence.

I had my first 1066 Dark knight (Toro) this weekend. First of all I think this is one beautiful cigar. Eye candy for the humidor! construction was perfect.. I punched the cap and the prelight draw was effortless.. Toasted the foot with ease - lots of nice smoke.. I had a Chardonay from Sanoma with this it was a wonderful combo. I think with a little age this will be excelent. I only let this one rest for a month or so. Still one of the better Cigars I have had this summer.. Can't wait to see what they are like next summer.

Here are my notes from the 1066 Merlin. Sometimes these can be found on special and that makes them even more attractive. I don't think you'll be disappointed, but then I'm a Cammie whore. ;-)

Nice chocolate brown Cameroon wrapper with a few small veins and very minor tooth. The cigar sported a stately black and gold band, large in size with attractive embossing. Well applied cap clipped cleanly with no tearing. Constructed with a firm roll and exhibited an excellent pre-light draw.

Lit easily and burned straight and even throughout. Medium bodied with a slightly nutty overtone, the flavor was pleasant with a small amount of spiciness. A large amount of mouth filling smoke billowed dense and white and filled the room with rich tobacco scent. The cigar drew perfectly, not too hard or easy, and the ash was firm and well behaved all the way to the band.

Accompanied with a Cappuccino, the Merlin was a fine complement to the cinnamon and rich cream. The finish was measured and pleasant with a slight lingering bite. Appropriate for mid day to evening, the cigar would hold its own with all but the most spicy and heavy foods.

Overall this was an excellent cigar that embodied the Excalibur line’s consistency and quality while adding an additional dimension of depth and flavor. Recommended.

the excalibur are, imo, a good smoke. they arent like a lot of other cammie wrapped smokes, which can be a plus or minus depending on your taste. more.... woodsy or something and less spicy (describing tobacco flavors is difficult...lol)

Back