HdM Excalibur Legend Crusader

BlackIrish

ChestBeater
The cigar:
HdM Excalibur Legend Crusader (5.75 x 45)
Wrapper: CT Havana
Binder: CT Havana
Filler: Nicaragua, Dominican Republic

The sell (from CI):

This Hoyo brings the brass. Hoyo de Monterrey has long been one of the world’s best-known, highest quality brands. Its legion of fans spreads across the world, covering every size and stripe of enthusiasts under the sun. Now, this legion has a full-bodied treat to savor in Excalibur Legend. Dressed in a dark and leathery Connecticut Havana wrapper, the Legend embraces an exceedingly flavorful mixture of Nicaraguan and Dominican ligero combined with robust long-fillers from the volcanic island of Ometepe, Nicaragua. Together, these powerful tobaccos marry to produce a bold, spicy cigar with rich, chewy flavors and a long and satisfying aftertaste. Complex notes of oak and leather smack the palate with each puff, leaving behind a nice dose of pepper that complements the smooth finish quite nicely. Excalibur fans, your full-bodied, full-flavored treat has arrived!

I received this cigar in a Blind Taste Test PIF from TedRodgersCPA and smoked it blind. (I'm on a business trip and don't have my camera with me, so I apologize for the lack of photos.)

Prelight: This cigar had a veiny, colorado wrapper, medium brown with some orange-ish hues, leathery with a nice sheen. It was well-filled, very firm. Aromas of wood, sweetness, caramel. The cap was applied a little bit sloppily. When I sliced it, I got a great cold draw and definite sweetness and spice.

Burn: The burn was excellent, straight with only the occasional wobble that self-corrected. Light gray ash was firm. Voluminous smoke. Smoking time was about 1.5 hours.

Taste: I got a little pepper upon lighting, but it smoothed out quickly. Flavors of leather, earth, and some wood layered over a background of sweetness and some baking spice. Nicely balanced, pleasant flavors. Medium bodied, with a clean finish.

The flavor stayed pretty steady throughout the smoke, though it became a bit stronger in the second half. About halfway through the cigar I began to detect some other flavor notes: some nuttiness, maybe vanilla, maybe almond. It wasn't super-complex, more steady but tasty, and it stayed that way all the way to the nub. It got a bit hot in the last inch or so, and I knew that time was up.

I enjoyed this cigar. It's well-made, flavorful, not stellar, but a straightforward, tasty, honest smoke.

Thanks Ted, for giving me a chance to try this new blend.

BlackIrish

Back