Health Insurer Asks: Are You a Tobacco User?

Greenwit

Gorilla
And if I answer 'yes', that's $400 more per year I need to pay for my health insurance. I don't smoke cigarettes or dip. Just do cigars. What if I smoke 2 per week. Am I a tobacco user? Or 3 or 6. I'm afraid to even ask. What do you think.

Yes, but that is a guess. Up here in Saskatchewan if you use any form of tobacco within the last 12 months your considered a tobacco user. If you have the "occational" cigar at a wedding or a child's birth it is put in a special class but your still considered a tobacco user - your rates are slightly better then a full on smoker.

But things can be a little backwards where I am from.

And if I answer 'yes', that's $400 more per year I need to pay for my health insurance. I don't smoke cigarettes or dip. Just do cigars. What if I smoke 2 per week. Am I a tobacco user? Or 3 or 6. I'm afraid to even ask. What do you think.

As much as I hate to say it, yes, you are a tobacco user. Whether or not you actually disclose it is up to you. Some insurance companies consider a smoker of even one cigar per year a "tobacco user".

You already know the answer;) Do what you must, but know what you do.

Hey where did you get that avatar? Looks pretty cool.

—Richard

My friend just got a new insurance policy and they gave him a drug test- Nicotine stays in the system (urine) for 72 hours IIRC so if you say you are not a tobacco user, and you don't smoke for 3 days before your test, there is really no way they can say you are.

My friend just got a new insurance policy and they gave him a drug test- Nicotine stays in the system (urine) for 72 hours IIRC so if you say you are not a tobacco user, and you don't smoke for 3 days before your test, there is really no way they can say you are.

A close friend who owns one of the largest drug testing companies says 11 days to be safe. (Blood).

Ouch, I hadn't thought of that. But that's a good heads up. We have random drug testing at work. I've been checked once in ten years. I suppose they could check of nicotine. When they tap you for a test, you got 24 hours to pee in their jar.

BTW, I don't think they are doing the retroactive thing. But this is new for our company and I'm gonna need to make the call within the next month which is our insurance sign up month for the next fiscal year.

It's probably safest to just say yes. If any health problems arise as a result of smoking, they might deny claims if you've told them all along that you don't smoke.
I'm by no means an expert on this subject, just my :2

It's probably safest to just say yes. If any health problems arise as a result of smoking, they might deny claims if you've told them all along that you don't smoke.

They would definitely have cause to deny a claim related to a smoking related illness. Whether it would hold up or not, I don't know.

You are not a tobacco user, you are a tobacco taster.
I never answer that question yes, even when I chewed. You smoke two a week, you are not going to have a lot of nicotine in your system anyway. F'em, if they test you say you were in a smokey bar the night before, or at a buddies house playing cards where everyone was smoking.:2

You get cancer, they can't difinitively say it was from cigars. My Mom just got cancer, she smoked for 30 yrs, but they couldn't tell her it was absolutely, 100%, the cause.

My auto insurance company once asked if I was a smoker. I said no. I don't smoke cigars while I'm driving.

I have to agree. If you smoke one or 20, you are still smoking. It is not fair to be grouped like that, but so is life. I would rather pay more and know I was going to be taken care of, than risk a denied claim. Same usually goes for life insurance. Would you want to risk the future of your kids/wife with something as trivial as this? Just my opinion.

Just tell them that you take a patch.
:ss

I have gone to various doctors over the years, and no matter what you are in for, they routinely ask if you are a smoker. I ask them to help define it.

Some have indicated cigarettes only, some ignore it when I say I have the occasional cigar.

The definitive answer came from a Mayo Clinic doctor I was meeting with. He asked if I was a smoker, I asked him what his definition was. His response "If you have smoked or used any tobacco product, you are a smoker. He said from a medical perspective, all he cared about was if you had had any form of tobacco product in your system. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Sometimes you are what you are.

My father in law does insurance. He set my wife and I up with a company that allows cigar smoking (occasional). I might have stretched the truth a bit on how many cigars I smoke, but I am thinking 3 pc's is about the same as a churchill right. Both my wife and I were in our 20's no adverse medical history, we don't skydive Hers is $44 a quarter Mine is $64. Though when we got our "test results back" my nicotine level was 9x higher.

Back