Heat in SoCal - Use coolerdor or Vinotemp?

King1of3

Maturing Primate
Sorry guys. It's like beating a dead horse, but can't find anything in search to answer my question. My area is getting warm 85 degrees this week, headed for 100+ in near future. Wife usually doesn't turn air conditioner on until she feels warm at around 80 degrees + or so in house. Does a coolerdor keep the precious cigars cool enough in a closet or will the temp rise in the cooler as the temp rises in the room? The blue ice in the humidor has been a quick but not really good fix the past few days. I am considering the 28 bottle Vinotemp at Target. $200 is a big chunk of change which I am willing to spend if absolutely necessary, but I want a clear conscience by knowing I have exhausted all possibilities of finding a bit cheaper solution. My finger is on the trigger, so please hear my cries. I don't want to pull it with regret. Thanks all.

85 degrees?? Could reach 100??

ha ha ha...

Coolerdor.

Trust us on this one - out here it's already in the 110's. And 0% humidity.

A coolerdor will not control your temps. It may slow down the changes, but within a couple of days, it'll equalize, especially if you open it. You'd have to keep using your blue ice method, but it should work better in a cooler than a humi.

Just think how hot it gets in the parts of the world where the cigars come from.

I use a Coolerdor and try not to open it during the hot times of the day.

Before you spend $200, you should know that a vinotemp will not work in an 80 degree house. I believe they require an ambient temp of 76 degrees or lower.
A winador would work perfectly.
I have 3 $200 35 bottle Frigidaire wine coolers that work terrific and work great in the heat, too.

Before you spend $200, you should know that a vinotemp will not work in an 80 degree house. I believe they require an ambient temp of 76 degrees or lower.
quote]
I beg to disagree.
I have an Avanti (thermoelectric same as the vinotemp really) it works fine with ambient temps of 85+

A coolerdor alone won't do the trick unless you want to play with blue ice or the like.

I have 3 $200 35 bottle Frigidaire wine coolers that work terrific and work great in the heat, too.

It's not that it won't work, Scott, it's that it won't be able to reach the lower temps. I'm running ~64-66F, even when my apartment was over 85F the other day.

If you can come up with the money I would go with a Vino. A large cooler is going to cost you ~$80 and unless you plan to hide it, will stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm sure you could use Ice packs to cool your cooler but that sounds like a lot of work.

I have a Vinotemp and I just double checked the Instruction Manual and it says its fine at 80 but not recommended above that. It also says if the temp is above 80 the the performance of the unit MAY be affected.:2

Vino Baby :tu- I just set mine up and it was straight forward and its holding 64-66 in my bonus room.

Besides, looks nicer than the cooler (according to my wife)

What is the difference between the vinotemp cooler and the Frigidaire you use? Thermoelectric or compressor? How is it set up?

Thanks

quote]
I beg to disagree.
I have an Avanti (thermoelectric same as the vinotemp really) it works fine with ambient temps of 85+

A coolerdor alone won't do the trick unless you want to play with blue ice or the like.

I am definitely looking to not spend valuable time I don't have by continuing the ice process. I figured the wine cooler to make it easier on me to control temp. I have seen many on here storing cigars in wine coolers at around 66 degrees, max of vinotemp. Which model Avanti do you have? Any advantage to Avanti versus Vinotemp?

Thanks

I have both a vinotemp 28 bottle and an Igloo 150qt cooler. By far the vinotemp does the best job. My HR/Temp is at at 68%/69d. It was sitting right at 65%RH but I took out the 65% beads yesterday which I will be putting back in shortly. My cooler is at 66%/76d but that one has beads in it. It will pretty much stay there but if the temp appears to go up above 76 I will put in one small ice pack and the temp will drop a few degrees. Set your thermastat at 78% and get a vinotemp!

do it you wont be sorry... im from socal, i use to live in Riverside where in the summer is could get 90 in the house...

both my avantis hold rock solid 65ish/65ish all day
bbeaffe3.jpg

Back