Heater Suggestions

bbaug14

Evolving Lead Gorilla
Okay, as I alluded to in one of my previous threads, my current living conditions make it difficult to smoke alone. The reason for this being that I can't smoke at home because my finacé won't let me smoke in the house and it's entirely too cold outside to smoke. I've come to the conclusion that I need to get a heater for the garage in order to smoke out there. I was wondering what the great members of CS had to suggest in the way of heaters. I have electric in my garage, but I'm not sure if an electric heater would do the trick to keep it warm enough out there to actually sit comfortably and smoke. I'd like to stay around a $100 or less on this thing as well. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I use my garage and while it's not as cold here, cold is cold. It was 40 last night, but will be getting colder soon enough. I open the garage door about a foot and sit at the opposite end near the wall. I have a tower oscillating heater. It's 1500 W and stands about 2.5 ft. If you place it about 4-5 ft in front of your chair, it'll keep the chill down. I believe I got it for around $45-$50 at Wally World.

DON'T get one of the propane tabletop patio heaters (11000 BTU/hr.) I bought one for my patio in Texas and in 40 degree weather you have to huddle right next to it to feel any heat. :cb

I have a three car garage and use a Mr. Heater Big Buddy (propane) puts out 15000 btu's ..Its ok but you have to have the heater facing you and be no further than 4'-5' away from it.. I also bought a Holmes radiant heater 1500 watts for 36bucks that does about the same job as the big buddy..With both of them on its quite comfortable and its been real cold here as of late..

Jerry in Minnesota.

I use my garage and while it's not as cold here, cold is cold. It was 40 last night, but will be getting colder soon enough. I open the garage door about a foot and sit at the opposite end near the wall. I have a tower oscillating heater. It's 1500 W and stands about 2.5 ft. If you place it about 4-5 ft in front of your chair, it'll keep the chill down. I believe I got it for around $45-$50 at Wally World.

I unfortunately suffer form the exact situation however with the Christmas tree, and all the outside lights going, I blow the breaker when I turn my heater on high :mad:.

I might give this a try as I have an extra tank, however the mechanics of it doesn't really look to safe to me.

1726_lg.gif

Hot source + propane tank =
images

I unfortunately suffer form the exact situation however with the Christmas tree, and all the outside lights going, I blow the breaker when I turn my heater on high :mad:.

I might give this a try as I have an extra tank, however the mechanics of it doesn't really look to safe to me.

1726_lg.gif

images

I actually own one of these and it has not been a problem safety wise, I was a little intimidated at first but the shield keeps the heat moving away from the controls and the handle, one of the links above takes you to it

Its funny,, as I stated before I have the Big Buddy Propane heater which is also made by Mr. Heater and in the instructions they say never have the propane tank indoors then on the other hand they make a heater that is attached to the tank...I think that would be a good fit for you but I would get the one with two or three heaters ,,I don't think the single would be enough..

Jerry in Minnesota.

I have just bought that exact thing for my shed, about a 1 car garage size and yes 4-5 feet away in that space keep me good to go for an hour and a half wearing a fleece jacket and jeans in 40 degree weather.

The heat/propane issue seems safe enough, the only real danger I see with the thing is asphyxiation, please ventilate per instructions and limit your exposure to an enclosed environment with one of these running. If you get sleepy stand up and walk outside for some oxygen before you nod off forever

I have one of those propane tank radiant heaters in my smoking area in my barn. It keeps it warm enough. I wouldn't leave it on unattended, but otherwise I don't think they present much of a safety risk.

So far it seems that people have a lot of good experience with the propane heaters. I wonder if any of the 1500W electric heaters out there can do the job of the propane heaters. For me personally, electric would be ideal because I have a two car garage which has electric in it. However, if it's not going to generate enough heat for me to sit out there comfortably, it's not going to work. There are several for sale at Lowe's but they don't seem to offer much in more or less heat all being 1500W power draw.

be carefull with a propane heaters, i knowa guy who was worling with one, pass out and only lived becasue his wife heard him fall. If you get one make sure to get a carbon monoxcide detector.

now back on topic, i have an unheat garage as well. The first step was to insulate, which helped a ton. Then i went to canadian tire and found a baseboard hearter, its electric, that is desgined for 2000sq feet. it was 90 bucks. I put that on high 5 or 10 minutes before I go out and lifeis good :w

I've seen tiny heaters warm up large garages. If the electric heater has a fan the warmth should spread easily. You can always return what you buy if it doesn't work out

1726_lg.gif

images

I use this exact set-up in my ManShack and it is awesome. Window open with a fan going for smoke and a hole on the other side to get good ventilation and I am good on smoke and carbon monoxide.

Heats very good. IS also great on propane. I just leave mine on low, although I just have a shed to heat, so it works great.

The propane bottle does not even get warm by the way.

I used a twin burner last winter in the garage and it was pretty good on all but the coldest days. I think I will be trying to go bigger this year though, either more propane heaters or maybe some insulation.

Where's the best place to buy these? Do they sell them at Home Depot/Lowes? I am going to go get a couple. Even "the wife" is telling me to go git'em.
I am located in Jersey if that helps.

Thanks

B :tu

I got mine at Lowe's. You can buy the propane and the tank there too if you don't have a tank already. I think it was like $40 for the heater and $40 for a full tank when I bought mine.

I put an overflow heat vent that goes into my garage.

Its just enough in the winter and its plenty in the summer. The garage is perfect and it doesnt cost me one bit to keep it that way.

Back