Help, are these Cohiba's fake???

Munt said:
http://www.cigargoyle.com/Detail.tpl?rnd=6815&cart=C3DAB0E2-2378-4A86-A76D-41443AF54B6E&sku=cohd-esp

Cohiba Dominican for 44.00 a box. Aren't true Cohiba's 'spozda have a red dot?

As I am a real noob, I'm just wondering.

Munt.
no, I went to a B&M in TX, and did a double take because the wrappers on the Dominican ones in there looked a lot like the CUban Cohiba bands. However, "Habana, Cuba" was replaced with "Dominican Republic" as I recall... I think these are a different line than the red dot Cohibas.

If I recall correctly they are a bootleg dominican cohiba, not produced by General Cigar who I think does the red dot cohiba...huge court case later, they are supposed to be not out there, but they still are

PaulMac said:
If I recall correctly they are a bootleg dominican cohiba, not produced by General Cigar who I think does the red dot cohiba...huge court case later, they are supposed to be not out there, but they still are
Why would anybody counterfeit DR Cohibas? :r

"Red dot" Cohibas are also fake Cohibas. :r

I have some yellow band Dominican Fauxhibas on hand for non-smokers that wouldn't know the difference. I have had some and they are ok, imo. Picked up a bundle for $21 locally.

:ms NCRM

NCRadioMan said:
"Red dot" Cohibas are also fake Cohibas. :r

I have some yellow band Dominican Fauxhibas on hand for non-smokers that wouldn't know the difference. I have had some and they are ok, imo. Picked up a bundle for $21 locally.

Thank you... u beat me to the post... sometimes even cheaper then $21!

Did you purchase these because they were fakes? Is there no sort of policing for the import or purchasing of this kinda stuff?

Munt.

I got them because they were cheap. :D

The makers of these were ordered by the courts to stop production because General got on their case, I think. What is out there for sale, is the remaining stock.

At least call them Colibra, or something clever like that. Just like that Tommy Hillfigure shirt I'm wearing.

How did the cigars taste? I'm assuming nothing like the original?

Munt.

Munt said:
At least call them Colibra, or something clever like that. Just like that Tommy Hillfigure shirt I'm wearing.

Munt.
I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say they probably taste nothing like a Cuban Cohiba!

Taken from the web

While these unfortunately are not the Cuban version, they still pack a flavorful punch. These "yellow-band" Cohibas are hand-rolled in the Dominican Republic by Monte Christi de Tobacos. [Note: due to the trademark dispute between these and the "red dot" Dominican Cohiba, when we get through our existing inventory, they will no longer be available for sale in the United States. Cohiba is hands-down the most famous name in cigars. Made by Monte Cristi de Tobacos in the Dominican Republic, Cohibas have an interesting story behind them. This Cohiba was actually the first legitimate cigar bearing the Cohiba label released in the United States. In the meantime, however, General Cigar Company released their "red dot" Cohiba, causing a trademark dispute in the U.S. courts. General Cigar eventually won the legal battle, and Monte Cristi de Tobacos has been forced to rename its cigar Republica Dominicana. These premium sticks may soon be a collector's item — these are some of the remaining few in the U.S. that bear the famous Cohiba logo on the band, as distributors have been forced to liquidate all remaining inventory of the brand.
Jibarito (6"x 42); Robusto (5"x 50); Torpedo (6"x 52)

bandit

Munt said:

Munt.

Nothing taste like a real Cohiba. ;) They aren't all that bad, at least in my experience. I think there are better cigars for the same or less $$$ though.

pistol said:
I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say they probably taste nothing like a Cuban Cohiba!

If you want to know how they taste search out caskwith's recent review of DR cohibas!

Interesting story Luckybandit, thanks.

I didn't know that they were actually out before the "Red Dots". So the General Cigar ones are really the "fake fakes", they just had better lawyers huh?

You've got my interest up. I've had one sitting in the bottom of my humidor for months. I think I'll have to give it a try now.

this has peaked my interest as well the local B & M has the for about $40 a bundle. Mild to medium smoke, have smoked some dog rockets costing twice as much, just wondering if these are just old stock or phony baloney! Maybe like it says a collectors item. Will be passing these off in 20 years as aged phony baloneys. Well guess i'm just gonna have to smoke one

bandit

stashu said:
Interesting story Luckybandit, thanks.

I didn't know that they were actually out before the "Red Dots". So the General Cigar ones are really the "fake fakes", they just had better lawyers huh?

You've got my interest up. I've had one sitting in the bottom of my humidor for months. I think I'll have to give it a try now.
I'm not so sure that paragraph is accurate. General cigar registered the Cohiba mark in the United States in 1978 and began producing a cigar with that name in the same year. These cigars were cheap bundle cigars and, due to a lack of demand, were discontinued in 1987. The red dot Cohibas didn't pop up until 1992--after CA gave the Cuban Cohiba Robusto 100 points. General Cigar reintroduced the brand as a higher-end smoke at that time.

Back