Help Me Pick a New Humi

daygo718

Young Ape
Well, as my fondness for cigars continue to grow, I have found that my modest 50 count humi that I purchased 6 months ago just doesn't cut it anymore. I'm looking to purchase a nice 150-200 count humi in the near future. I'd like to stay under $200 if possible, but would consider something more if it is highly recommended. I checked out Cigarmony to get some ideas and there were a few that I liked. Any recommendations?

Alex

Another site to check out is CheapHumidors.com, I got a desktop from them for a really good price, and it's really nice for the price. Then head over to HeartfeltIndustries.com and get some beads.

Alright, I know you're not going to do this, but I have to tell you anyway.

Don't buy another humi. They're too small and you'll end up with 10 of them in a year or two.

Buy a huge cooler at Walmart, get some beads, get a digital hygro, and spend the rest on cigars.

If you search this forum you'll find everything you ever wanted to know about turning a cooler into a humidor.

and buy the biggest one you can get. I learned the hard way...just like with humidors. I have two coolers in my office. I should have just bought one really big cooler.

Holts has 100 count humi's on sale right now for 20 bucks. You could get two of those and save money for a real nice cabnet one later.. :2

Thanks for the suggestions guys...keep 'em coming!

I know I should just take some of your advice and get a cooler, but I just can't see buying that many sticks/boxes in the near future (I'm sure I will be eating my words) to justify a cooler. I've "survived" on my 50 count humi because I only smoke about 3 sticks per week. I feel that a 150-200 count humi along with the one I already have should hold me over for the time being. I also like the aesthetic value of a nice humi since I keep it on display on my bar. Can't really stick a cooler on my bar! :)

Holts has 100 count humi's on sale right now for 20 bucks. You could get two of those and save money for a real nice cabnet one later.. :2

:tpd: Yes, that is the best way to go. I too was looking at cabinet humis and this sale came. I decided this should get me by for the next couple of months (or weeks ;) ). Throw some beads in there and you'll be set!

Cooler! Cooler! Cooler!

Probably better than going with a 100-150 count. Go with a mid size cooler.

This way in a month or so you will have more room and wont have to upgrade so fast.

Plus it will be less money and you will have more money for cigars.

Thanks for the tip! I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this tonight since you can't beat a 100 count humi for 20 bucks. They only allow 1 per order as they are trying to get rid of their stock, so I'll probably get one and get a cabinet like you suggested or possibly a coolidor. We'll see how fast I start sliding down this slope! :ss 6 months ago, I thought my 50 count humi would be too big! :D

Well, as my fondness for cigars continue to grow, I have found that my modest 50 count humi that I purchased 6 months ago just doesn't cut it anymore. I'm looking to purchase a nice 150-200 count humi in the near future. I'd like to stay under $200 if possible, but would consider something more if it is highly recommended. I checked out Cigarmony to get some ideas and there were a few that I liked. Any recommendations?

Alex

Alright, I know you're not going to do this, but I have to tell you anyway.

Don't buy another humi. They're too small and you'll end up with 10 of them in a year or two.

Buy a huge cooler at Walmart, get some beads, get a digital hygro, and spend the rest on cigars.

If you search this forum you'll find everything you ever wanted to know about turning a cooler into a humidor.

Eric's advice is sound. I have two desktop humis and two big-a$$ coolers. Don't believe me? Come join us at a S.H.I.T. herf and talk to us. :D

I am guessing that the "coolidor" option will eventually will be useful, but at this point in my cigar development (I am a relative newbie) a 100-200 cigar humidor will fulfill my short term needs. Although I have my coolidor already planned out! :ss

Thanks for the tip! I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this tonight since you can't beat a 100 count humi for 20 bucks. They only allow 1 per order as they are trying to get rid of their stock, so I'll probably get one and get a cabinet like you suggested or possibly a coolidor. We'll see how fast I start sliding down this slope! :ss 6 months ago, I thought my 50 count humi would be too big! :D

I replied about this on another thread (Ebay related), but I will say again, I just got my Lg Holt's humidor yesterday and for a "scratch and dent" special, I cannot find a single blemish in the thing. What an awesome deal this thing is. I am upgrading from a 25ct humi, and for $20, this should hold me for a while.

I replied about this on another thread (Ebay related), but I will say again, I just got my Lg Holt's humidor yesterday and for a "scratch and dent" special, I cannot find a single blemish in the thing. What an awesome deal this thing is. I am upgrading from a 25ct humi, and for $20, this should hold me for a while.

good luck with that
:ss

Dude, don't even bother with a 100 count humidor.

Well, I take that back. I love my 100 count, and they are the perfect size to hold singles and 5 packs. But very soon, you are going to want to start buying boxes/bundles of cigars that you really like, at which point a 100 count humidor becomes way too small.
I would say go ahead and get a 100 count, but get a mid sized cooler as well. I got a Coleman 48 qt plain jane cooler for like $22. It holds 8-10 boxes, depending on size, and it holds humidity better than any humidor I've ever had. :ss

My two cents? I have a "buy it once, buy it right" philosophy.

Here's what I've posted from time to time. Take a look and see if it makes sense for your situation.

A humidor is a convenient and aesthetic display PRESENTATION BOX used to "merchandise" a representative assortment of your cigars. Because it's out in the open, and residing with our other furniture, we invest more money to buy something aesthetically pleasing.

But a box is just a box. Why spend more money on fancy storage when you don't have to, when cheap large volume storage in the form of a coolerdor will do?

Case in point, a $600 Reed and Barton Biltmore humidor which stores 100 cigars means that this storage method equates to $6 per cigar. Contrast that with a $60 coolerdor that will store 600 cigars or more, translating to $.10 cents per cigar.

We can only smoke one cigar at a time, more or less. So, my belief is that the way to go is to store your INVENTORY in "backstock" in a coolerdor (just like they do in a retail store), moving only a handful of representative smokes to the expensive humidor for ease of access.

Spending hundreds or thousands of dollars for multiple humidors because you've outgrown them is overkill, IMO. And, if you buy only ONE humidor, you can afford to concentrate more of your budget into one REALLY NICE one, rather than three or four mediocre ones.

Take a look at this Reed & Barton Diamond Crown on Ebay. I own one myself, and I think this is the same vendor I got it from. Take a look at what I did with the hardware. CLICKY

Thanks for the suggestions guys...keep 'em coming!

I know I should just take some of your advice and get a cooler, but I just can't see buying that many sticks/boxes in the near future (I'm sure I will be eating my words) to justify a cooler. I've "survived" on my 50 count humi because I only smoke about 3 sticks per week. I feel that a 150-200 count humi along with the one I already have should hold me over for the time being. I also like the aesthetic value of a nice humi since I keep it on display on my bar. Can't really stick a cooler on my bar! :)
The humi is for display purposes; the cooler is strictly for backstock.

Nice thing about coolers is that they come in different sizes as well, are cheaper, and serve a dual purpose.

If you want to move up to a nicer bar-top humidor, that's one thing, but if you're going to be expanding your hobby (and are money-conscious) it might pay to snag yourself a cooler along the way.

Back