Herfing = palate training?

replicant_argent

2X Secret Probation.Bitch
more specifically....
when you herf and do PPPs, I think it is actually good for me (having the palate of a goat) because those that can tell me what they are tasting or experiencing in a smoke can help me define my palate. I herf with Andyman with a fair degree of regularity, and if the guy could keep from relighting a stick 32 times, I might actually learn something....
(Kidding, brother) I do think that I never want to compare vintages of 7 year old madagascar vanilla, but a sounding board while you are herfing is a good thing. A guy saying "Shit... do you get the weird ass grapefruit thing right now?" actually has merit for me, and it's fun to see how the flavors, aromas, and "mouthfeel" match at different stages of the cigar.
Being a bit of a "foodie" I enjoy food and am trying to train myself to discern flavors in a dish (somewhat successfully) and think that herfing provides not only a brotherhood experience, but a bit of a training ground as well. Just looking for thoughts on this idea, as well as anecdotes that may relate.

"cat pee" suggestions can remain unsaid..;)

I agree that the contrast provided by cigars in a P-P-P can really help develop the ability to distinguish tastes...at least it has for me. That being said, there are some vintage cigars that are best smoked by one, either because they don't hold up well in a P-P-P situation, or because the development of a particular cigar is best experienced by one. But I wholeheartedly agree that the P-P-Ps I have been in have given me better ability to distinguish flavors and refine my palate.

What really frustrates me is being able to say, "This doesn't suck" which actually means "I can't place the flavors that I am getting" but I damn well wish I could.

What really frustrates me is being able to say, "This doesn't suck" which actually means "I can't place the flavors that I am getting" but I damn well wish I could.

Practice makes "better"....I don't think any of us will ever perfect the art. ;)

Ok, can't find PPP in the "stickies man, the stickies are the key"...what is PPP?

A Puff-Puff-Pass. A group of herfers light several cigars at once and pass them around, comparing and contrasting the cigars.

A Puff-Puff-Pass. A group of herfers light several cigars at once and pass them around, comparing and contrasting the cigars.

whoa...swapin cigars with each other...i like yall, but i don't know if i wanna be swapin spit with yall. :r

I wonder if, being one who lacks the company for a real herf, doing this with 3 or so sticks by ones self would be beneficial...

Someone on another thread said that writing your experience down while you smoking helps.

Personally, I like to relax while I smoke. I guess a few notes won't hurt.

I have only attended two Herfs, but my Jedi Masters Bobarian and Ratters have been most helpful. Either on a PPP or if I smoke something they have already tried. I listen and take mental notes.

Without attending a Herf I doubt I would try anything new or develop a stogie vocabulary.

ahh. :r

I produce alot of saliva while smoking, so I guess I'd have to learn the art of dry lipping. :ss

You definitely will if you get in one of our P-P-Ps!! ;) :r

hova45 said:
think Marvin Shankin has perfected the technique Tom :r :r :r

Nuts...the last thing I want to do is give Marvin credit for anything! :r

Back