Hey, Punk! A Contest!

D. Generate

El Dudarino
Okay, I have some smokes to give away. I won't say what they are because I don't know yet. They will be solid middle class smokes, i.e. CAO, Padron, Toraño etc.. I'll be rewarding someone's punk knowledge with a sampler o' my smokes. Y'all get to guess twice a day, because I'm leaving town for the weekend and want to send out the smokes on Friday morning. I think that ought to be enough time for someone to win. So if you want to play then answer me these:

1. Where did the Stiff Little Fingers get their name from?

2. Where did the Buzzcocks get their name from?

3. Paul Beahm achieved Punk Rock immortality as Darby Crash fronting the Germs. Prior to Darby, Paul had another pseudonym. What was it?

4. What's a S.H.A.R.P.?

5. Who was "The only band that matters?"

6. Where did the Ramones get their name from?

7. Name three other bands or side projects with member(s) of Rancid in them.

8. Prior to being in the Clash, Joe Strummer was in another band. What was the name of that band?

9. Sex Pistols created a national uproar during a televised appearance on a talk show by swearing up a storm. Who was the host of the TV show?

10. What was the name of Malcom McLaren's clothing store?

11. Greg Ginn of Black Flag created the SST label, and arguably, the template for the independent punk record label. What does SST stand for?

12. Name two bands that Duane Peters is in and the sport he is known for.

13. Lemmy Kilmister is the god of rock and fronts Motörhead. But he wanted to name the band something else. His manager told him the name he wanted would never play on "Top of the Pops." What was the name Lemmy wanted?

14. A famous L.A. Punk who fronted a definitive So Cal. band ran for Governor of California in 2002. He lost to Schwarzenegger. Who was it and what band did he sing for?

15. Put the band with the punk.
a. Lorna Doom
b. Topper Headron
c. Joey, Johnny, Marky and Dee Dee
d. Captain Sensible
e. Roger Miret
f. HR
g. John Doe
h. Henry Rollins

D. Generate said:
Okay, I have some smokes to give away. I won't say what they are because I don't know yet. They will be solid middle class smokes, i.e. CAO, Padron, Toraño etc.. I'll be rewarding someone's punk knowledge with a sampler o' my smokes. Y'all get to guess twice a day, because I'm leaving town for the weekend and want to send out the smokes on Friday morning. I think that ought to be enough time for someone to win. So if you want to play then answer me these:

1. Where did the Stiff Little Fingers get their name from?

A song by the Vibrators?

2. Where did the Buzzcocks get their name from?

"Its the buzz, cock!" or some such line. Cock was a word for dude or guy back in England.

3. Paul Beahm achieved Punk Rock immortality as Darby Crash fronting the Germs. Prior to Darby, Paul had another pseudonym. What was it?

Bobby Pyn

4. What's a S.H.A.R.P.?

S.h.a.r.p. Punk & Oi!? Skins and punks against racism?

5. Who was "The only band that matters?"

the clash

6. Where did the Ramones get their name from?

Either from producer Phil Ramone or McCartney who used the name Paul Ramone to hide his identity. DeeDee said it was from Phil.

7. Name three other bands or side projects with member(s) of Rancid in them.

Bassist Freeman was in Aunti Christ, Armstrong set up Hellcat, and both Armstrong and Fredrikson did production work (Lars on Redemption '87). Armstrong and Fredrikson were in Operation Ivy,

8. Prior to being in the Clash, Joe Strummer was in another band. What was the name of that band?

The Bangles? No, no, wait.... the 101'ers?

9. Sex Pistols created a national uproar during a televised appearance on a talk show by swearing up a storm. Who was the host of the TV show?

Bill Grundy...."..****ing rotter...." oh so much fun....

10. What was the name of Malcom McLaren's clothing store?

Malcolm = Let it rock...

11. Greg Ginn of Black Flag created the SST label, and arguably, the template for the independent punk record label. What does SST stand for?

Solid State Transmitter (i.e., no tubes)

12. Name two bands that Duane Peters is in and the sport he is known for.

Skateboarding isn't a sport. The Hunns, the U.S. Bombs.

13. Lemmy Kilmister is the god of rock and fronts Motörhead. But he wanted to name the band something else. His manager told him the name he wanted would never play on "Top of the Pops." What was the name Lemmy wanted
?

What a hard question....you "Bastard" ....

14. A famous L.A. Punk who fronted a definitive So Cal. band ran for Governor of California in 2002. He lost to Schwarzenegger. Who was it and what band did he sing for?

T.S.O.L. (true sounds of liberty) Jack Grisham

a. Lorna Doom - Germs
b. Topper Headron - Clash
c. Joey, Johnny, Marky and Dee Dee - Ramones
d. Captain Sensible - the Damned
e. Roger Miret - the Disasters
f. HR - hmm..maybe I have bad brains but I can't get this one..
g. John Doe - X
h. Henry Rollins - Black Flag

Wow. Great skills Sean.

I only find a few minor errors.

1. I think it was actually "get a buzz, cock" - the close to a review of some crappy 70s all-female album (Rock Follies) that Howard Devoto thought was hysterical

2. Skinheads Against Racial Predjuduice.

3. I think McLaren's shop was called SEX

SeanGAR said:
Well you know....

SeanGAR WAS a punk rocker.....

S'funny how twenty years later, all the punks I knew (including me) either died or became extremely respectable citizens. Every once in a while I realize I AM mainstream america and part of me cringes. But most of me grew up.

paraphrase: Any man who isn't rebellious at 18 has no heart. Any man who isn't conservative at 40 has no mind.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke

Wow, way to go Seangar!! Very creative answering!! I thought maybe there was a chance to find a couple of answers and you have them all!! :tg LOL

D. Generate said:
4. What's a S.H.A.R.P.?
IHT - Skin Heads Against Racial Prejudice <--it helps to have been one! we were on channel 2 news one time in St. Louis.

IHT - jello biafra of the Dead Kennedy's?

f. HR IHT - BAD BRAINS!!
h. Henry Rollins IHT - Black Flag and Rollins Band

i only answered the ones i was positive on.

Ms. Floydp said:
Wow, way to go Seangar!! Very creative answering!! I thought maybe there was a chance to find a couple of answers and you have them all!! :tg LOL

Nah, as others point out I got a couple wrong. I even started looking for my vinyl on a couple of them haha.

Wow, that didn't take very long at all. SeanGar you just about got them all, RcktS4 caught the ones you didn't.

SeanGar, PM me your address and I'll get your smokes out to you. RcktS4, send me your address too and I'll throw in something for you.

IHT doesn't get anything for this. Come on, that SHARP question was a complete gimme for him. :fu

RcktS4 said:
S'funny how twenty years later, all the punks I knew (including me) either died or became extremely respectable citizens. Every once in a while I realize I AM mainstream america and part of me cringes. But most of me grew up.

paraphrase: Any man who isn't rebellious at 18 has no heart. Any man who isn't conservative at 40 has no mind.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke

I still love the music and go to shows when I can but my mohawked days are behind me. My political views have moved into the more mainstream and nowadays all of my friends have jobs.

you should pull a trick question with HRs other group... which was a reggae group called.... HR (human rights).

D. Generate said:
I still love the music and go to shows when I can but my mohawked days are behind me. My political views have moved into the more mainstream and nowadays all of my friends have jobs.

Man......I remember the days I had enough hair to have a mohawk.....now all I got is the reverse mohawk....but that doesn't look nearly as cool. :r

Thanks for the contest - those were good questions .... PM sent
Sean

D. Generate said:
Wow, that didn't take very long at all. SeanGar you just about got them all, RcktS4 caught the ones you didn't.

SeanGar, PM me your address and I'll get your smokes out to you. RcktS4, send me your address too and I'll throw in something for you.

IHT doesn't get anything for this. Come on, that SHARP question was a complete gimme for him. :fu

Well, I think its pretty unearned, but - PM sent anyway!

R

IHT said:
here's a short mohawk...

Very nice! I'll have to try to dig up some old pictures of me back in the day. I remember using Kool Aid for hair dye and Elmer's glue, egg whites and flour to make liberty spikes. I don't miss cleaning up that mess.

ugh, i started off with "sugar water", and it did make a mess and didn't stick very well (except the comb to the sink). in the STL area, it gets very humid, so my 'hawk would fall down because of it.

i ended up having to use a hair spray (i'm forgetting the brand - but it was cheap and worked like a mo'fo), it was their "extra-super-hold" in a white with pink stripes bottle. oh AQUA NET!!

when mine got to be about 1' tall, it still held strong.
at one point, my bangs could touch my adams apple.

Man, dgen sent me a pile of excellent cigars and he burned a kickass CD for me. thanks !!!!

God save the queen!

SeanGAR

D. Generate said:
Very nice! I'll have to try to dig up some old pictures of me back in the day. I remember using Kool Aid for hair dye and Elmer's glue, egg whites and flour to make liberty spikes. I don't miss cleaning up that mess.

IHT said:
ugh, i started off with "sugar water", and it did make a mess and didn't stick very well (except the comb to the sink). in the STL area, it gets very humid, so my 'hawk would fall down because of it.

i ended up having to use a hair spray (i'm forgetting the brand - but it was cheap and worked like a mo'fo), it was their "extra-super-hold" in a white with pink stripes bottle. oh AQUA NET!!

when mine got to be about 1' tall, it still held strong.

SeanGAR said:
Man......I remember the days I had enough hair to have a mohawk.....now all I got is the reverse mohawk....but that doesn't look nearly as cool.

Been a while since I've felt this old! Had hair to my ass for a while, does that still count as cool?

:cool:

radar said:
Been a while since I've felt this old! Had hair to my ass for a while, does that still count as cool?
:cool:

unfortunately for you, your hair decided it liked being down there so much, it moved there permanently.
:r

I know some of these,but my goodness!I bow to your punk knowledge.Bring back memories of the first vinyl i bought.Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables.Still the only Dead Kennedys album in Williamstown Kentucky. :D

Back