High humidity

White97Jimmy

Expresso - Frickin' 81
I have a question about my humidors. I have my temp under control as I leave them my basement, it has been a constant 68* in the humi. Only problem I see is that every time it rains, my humidor jumps to about 78-81% humidity. The temp stays at 68*, so is the high humidity bad for my sticks?

I wouldn't think so, the only problem I have is that some of them obviously have bad burns because they are so humid. They all taste fine so far, just sometimes need extra lighting attention. Any thoughts??

James, do you use the beads? If so what %, if not what do you use. That high of humidity for long times will cause mold, so you should do something soon.

Yup...your burn problems will likely get worse the longer you store the smokes at such high RH. I would think your humidor might have a serious seal problem if the RH jumps that high within from the rain. I would test the seals on the humi, and definitely invest in some beads ASAP.

I like the idea of two containers of beads.
container 1: treated with distilled water in the normal way.
container 2: completely dry to absorb any extra humidity when it rains etc.

scrapiron said:
I like the idea of two containers of beads.
container 1: treated with distilled water in the normal way.
container 2: completely dry to absorb any extra humidity when it rains etc.

One container of Viper's beads is all you would need. In your scenario, the dry container would absorb any excess moisture from the treated container and even out shortly anyway. :)

You could have some reserve beads, outside of your humi. Then throw them in to absorb the excess when it rained.

White97Jimmy said:
I have beads...70% in there. I'm going to try a few things first, then will post my results.

If it gets too humid and the cigars absorb it all - they could burst. Remember that RH works both ways on your humidor - RH in and RH out - in other words if your humidor is not sealing very well the higher humidity from the room will move towards the humidor. Check the seals.

Ron

Back