Holiday Smokes

Corona Gigante

Ann Coulter's Cabana Boy
What with one thing and another--family gatherings, a couple of bouts of sickness--I was over two weeks between smokes. Then Saturday evening, the stars came into alignment for me. The weather outside was unseasonably mild (even for Houston) and most importantly the humidity was low. I settled down in my back patio smoking nook with a favorite book, a bottle of Old Speckled Hen, and a Ramon Allones Specially Selected from 2004. Oh man, what a great way to break the drought. The distinct maltiness of the beer complemented the flavor of the cigar and, with thick clouds of billowing around my head for an hour or so, I was in Havana heaven.

The next day, I sat on the front porch and enjoyed the warm winter sunshine, a cup of cappuccino, and a Trinidad Reyes. The Reyes is the only cigar I’ve had from the Trinidad line, but it has inspired me to explore this marca further. The flavor is distinct and quite unlike the cigars in my usual rotation. For a small cigar, it lasts a surprisingly long time.

Finally today, the weather was once again gorgeous. I appreciated it even more so after having spent so much time in doors the last few days, first because I was sick, and then looking after my daughter, and then my wife, as they each succumbed to the same bug. I strolled along the bayou until I found a sunny little nook out of the breeze to smoke a Hoyo de Monterey Epi #2 received recently in the All ISOM PIF (thanks again, Dave!) I should probably have let this baby rest a little longer after its trip but it still made for a very pleasant smoking experience.

Three days, three great smokes. What a great way to get the year started.

Wishing everybody a happy and prosperous 2007!

Last edited:
It was a Happy New Year for you for sure.

Happy New Year, nice cigars you smoked to bring it in as well.

That is how to start the New Year off right! I have been meaning to fire up a Reyes, I haven't had one yet. The '04 RASS is great right now!

Back