Holts FINE CATCH - Cheap Smokes!

omowasu

Powered by Depression!
"Man, that cigar smells like a FART!!!"

This was the first thing I heard after torching a Holts Fine Catch.

It didnt help that we were in the middle of a lake on a boat, where the smoke would have dissipated somewhat prior to reaching the other passengers. And for once, I was NOT farting constantly for some reason. I took advantage of the situation to puff on this smoke HARDER, forcing my captive audience to smell the Holts Fine Catch!!! To me, it didnt smell like a fart, but then again I was smoking the thing so my senses were numbed.

And, admittedly, these were fresh off the truck and very wet - my cheap cigar coolerdor (inspired by TXMATT's cheap smokes thread) was reading 85% after adding some recent acquisitions. I think these may have contributed to the swamp-like conditions and resulting noxious odors. Ill let them rest for a while prior to firing up another - maybe when they are at 70%.

That said, the smoke itself was far from bad. Holts advertises these as medium, and I believe this is incorrect, they are more of a mild/medium both in flavor and nicotine content. These things are large and hefty for the price at 6x52. These can be had for as little as $1.13 each depending on how many are ordered from Holts. The wrapper is Brazilian, binder Dominican, and filler blended from Dominican, Nicaraguan and Panamanian tobaccos.

Taste wise, I was greeted with a moderate leather/wood flavor with minimal bitterness, and the bitterness was more of a fresh coffee than a stale sour cream. The flavor profile was not bad at all for a cheap cigar - while this thing wont take on the premiums, it will hold its own against many of the cheaper smokes and many smokes that are more expensive. I was expecting bitterness or metallic flavors, and neither were present in a bad way for the first 1/3 to 1/2. I smoked this one about halfway through - bitterness started to increase, probably due to the excessive humidity on these.

Overall, not a bad daily smoke for the mild/medium bodied cigar smoker. Ill report back in a month on another. Value for the cost was good - and it may smell like a fart to some, which could be an advantage or disadvantage depending on how you look at it!

finecatch.jpg

Thanks for the review. I have been looking for some decent cheap smokes. I will give these a try.

Never heard of the fart analogy on these. Could have been the bait - what were you fishing for?

These are my second favorite bundle cigar behind the Nic 3000s. I like these better than Consuegra Maduros, FDO Maduros, and Tampa Sweethearts. I've seen them on weekly special for as low as $20.95/20 bundle, but the current special is pretty good.

For a little more scratch you should pick up some Boardwalks, they are even better. Similar flavor profile with a dark rosado wrapper.

BillyBarue

Never heard of the fart analogy on these. Could have been the bait - what were you fishing for?

These are my second favorite bundle cigar behind the Nic 3000s. I like these better than Consuegra Maduros, FDO Maduros, and Tampa Sweethearts. I've seen them on weekly special for as low as $20.95/20 bundle, but the current special is pretty good.

For a little more scratch you should pick up some Boardwalks, they are even better. Similar flavor profile with a dark rosado wrapper.

BillyBarue

I did pick up a box of the Boardwalk Robustos, and I agree, they were impressive for the price - even right off the truck. I am letting those rest for a bit prior to reviewing to make sure I get the tastes right.

Unfortunately, I wasnt fishing, it was more of a drinking excursion! :al

Back