Honduran Cigars

gvarsity

mr. mom
Last week during my golf league I had a Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur Epicure Maduro (an old favorite) and a Gran Habano #5 Robusto (a new favorite) and it was one of the best one two punches of cigars I have had in a long time. Wonderful construction, beautiful burn in a 40 mph wind, rich, full bodied, full flavor delights. Which got me to thinking about Honduran cigars and why I like them so much.

After a year and a half of playing at CS I'm back to where I started. I have tried a lot of cigars I haven't had before. I have amassed a collection I wouldn't have believed when I started. After all of this the style I started with is still the style I like best. I just love full flavored, full bodied, medium vitamin N Honduran cigars in Dark Sumatran, Maduro and [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Corojo wrappers[/FONT].

I appreciate the finesse of Dominicans. I occasionally like the spicy bang of Nicaraguans. There is definitely something to be said for the Twang of Cubans. My thing about Hondurans is they just taste and feel lush to me. There is a very satisfying cigarness to them that often eludes me with other regions.

Due to circumstances I can't really be a sipper of cigars right now. Time is a luxury. I know a lot of the OG's don't believe in that statement. For me it's true. I have to grab them when I can often when something else is going on. Someday that might change but it'll probably be awhile. Hondurans satisfy me even when I can't give them the attention they deserve.

Hondurans have not changed much since I first picked one up over 20 years ago. The industry has changed a lot. There are a lot of new wrappers. The boundary on strength and spiciness seems much farther out than it used to be. Back in the day I was a strong cigar smoker and now I am more a medium to strong cigar smoker and I'm smoking the same cigars.

I'm not saying Hondurans are better. I'm just saying they are what I really enjoy right now. Perhaps like comfort food they are my comfort cigar. Here on CS it seems the Cubans (of course) and the Nicaraguan cigars are the stars and the Hondurans are red headed step child. (no offense to any red headed step children.) So I wanted to put out a little love to the rich, full, unsubtle, but not brash Honduran cigar.

Interesting post. I have enjoyed the few (known) Honduran cigars I've had. Unfortunately, I seem to have started with Dominicans and jumped mostly to Nicaraguan at some point.

So I'd like to hear more about Hondurans and also get some recommendations on particular cigars to try. Thanks.

One Honduran that I must say is quite tasty is the Sancho Panza Double Maduro line. Let them rest for about a month or two in the humidor to remove that harsh ammonia taste and they make great smokes.

Nice points... and well made. They just bolster the tried and true adage... "smoke what you like." Hondurans ARE the best - to you - right now. That may change - or it may not! :r

I enjoyed reading the passion you have for your Hondurans. The first cigar that really drew me into the wonderful world of premium smokes was a Honduran. Guess I will have to fire one up tonight in honor of your treatise. :D

Though right now I smoke mostly Nicaraguan and some Cubans, I still love the Camachos and the Don Tomas Clasicos, as well as the Gran Habano #5 you mentioned.

Nothing like writing a treatise near exhaustion. :D I'm not sure what made wax poetic about my love for Honduran cigars but one of the joys of CS is not having to explain your appreciation for the leaf. My original thought was to write a less personal document comparing the general/flavor profiles of Honduran, Nicaraguan, Dominican & Cuban cigars. Not claiming any expertice just speaking from my experience and reading. Kind of a newbie piece in broad generalities. I still may write it but seems I was hit by a muse instead. Thanks for you kind support of my rambling.

Funny that you post this. I was just thinking this same thing. My first favorite premium cigar (about 10-12 years ago) was the Hoyo De Monterrey Exaclibur III (first natural then the maduro). I loved that cigar for a very long time. My first box purchases was with that cigar. It was always a good cigar, smooth, tasty, well constructed, and super reliable. Over the years I started experimenting, and haven't had one in a long time. The other day I was wondering if I would like these still and that I should try one. I also started to think why I haven't seen/smoked Honduran cigars in a while. I ithink I'm gonna go search out a smooth, creamy, maduro, perfecto from Honduras. Any suggestions? If this is a hijack let me know, and I'll post it separately.

Junior

Last week during my golf league I had a Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur Epicure Maduro (an old favorite) and a Gran Habano #5 Robusto (a new favorite) and it was one of the best one two punches of cigars I have had in a long time. Wonderful construction, beautiful burn in a 40 mph wind, rich, full bodied, full flavor delights. Which got me to thinking about Honduran cigars and why I like them so much.

After a year and a half of playing at CS I'm back to where I started. I have tried a lot of cigars I haven't had before. I have amassed a collection I wouldn't have believed when I started. After all of this the style I started with is still the style I like best. I just love full flavored, full bodied, medium vitamin N Honduran cigars in Dark Sumatran, Maduro and [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Corojo wrappers[/FONT].

I appreciate the finesse of Dominicans. I occasionally like the spicy bang of Nicaraguans. There is definitely something to be said for the Twang of Cubans. My thing about Hondurans is they just taste and feel lush to me. There is a very satisfying cigarness to them that often eludes me with other regions.

Due to circumstances I can't really be a sipper of cigars right now. Time is a luxury. I know a lot of the OG's don't believe in that statement. For me it's true. I have to grab them when I can often when something else is going on. Someday that might change but it'll probably be awhile. Hondurans satisfy me even when I can't give them the attention they deserve.

Hondurans have not changed much since I first picked one up over 20 years ago. The industry has changed a lot. There are a lot of new wrappers. The boundary on strength and spiciness seems much farther out than it used to be. Back in the day I was a strong cigar smoker and now I am more a medium to strong cigar smoker and I'm smoking the same cigars.

I'm not saying Hondurans are better. I'm just saying they are what I really enjoy right now. Perhaps like comfort food they are my comfort cigar. Here on CS it seems the Cubans (of course) and the Nicaraguan cigars are the stars and the Hondurans are red headed step child. (no offense to any red headed step children.) So I wanted to put out a little love to the rich, full, unsubtle, but not brash Honduran cigar.

Many of my favorite brands are made in Honduras. In my opinion, many Honduran cigars are underrated and underappreciated.

I confess I don't always know as much about my cigars as I ought to. So after I read your (well written) post I did a search on honduran cigars and it turns out some of my favorites are Honduran...HdM Dark Sumatra and Dark Knight, Torano exodus silver, casa torano. Very tasty indeed.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I've got to agree . . . in my opinion Hondurans are consistently the best cigars for the $$. Hoyo, Punch & Patel are all great!

Try the Punch Rothschild Maduro. It's a darn-good short smoke. Even better at about two bucks a pop. :tu

An all time favorite goto smoke. Actually turned on some friends looking for a good cheap smoke this weekend. I like the Punch Gran Puro line a lot as well.

I ithink I'm gonna go search out a smooth, creamy, maduro, perfecto from Honduras. Any suggestions? If this is a hijack let me know, and I'll post it separately.
No threadjack. Wasn't even a well thought out thread just a musing. Kinda of thinking out loud via keyboard. I'll have to think about perfectos...I believe you can get the RP Edge Maduro in a perfecto and they are Honduran and a yummy smoke.

Many of my favorite brands are made in Honduras. In my opinion, many Honduran cigars are underrated and underappreciated.
Pretty much summed up my whole musing in a sentence. Well done. Maybe we should have kept it a secret. Now everybody will want them. ;)

Interesting post. I have enjoyed the few (known) Honduran cigars I've had. Unfortunately, I seem to have started with Dominicans and jumped mostly to Nicaraguan at some point.

So I'd like to hear more about Hondurans and also get some recommendations on particular cigars to try. Thanks.
I go between Honduran and Nicaraguan cigars. There is no way you can beat the flavor. Give me six months and you may have to ask me again. LOL.:)

Kas didn't mean to ignore your post. A quick off the top my head list of some Hondurans I really enjoy, Punch Gran Puros Limitad Tubos, Hoyo de Monterrey Exacalibur Epicure Maduro, Gran Habano #5 Toro, Puros Indios Reserva Maxima Maduro Petite Corona, Rocky Patel Edge Maduro missle come to mind immediately. I haven't had them yet but the Taboo Honduran Sun Grown sounds good and has gotten some good reviews. That definitely is a good start. I actually don't know if there are any super premium Hondurans out there. Haven't looked but now that may become a mission.

Back