How long after heat will beetles show?

Last week for about two weeks my barraks room was in the upeer 80'2, cigars the same. I tried what I could but the lack of A/C posed problems. I smoked a pardon 3000 tonite and it was quite good, until about 3/4 of the way thru suddenly there was a very off taste that I have never tasted in a cigars before. I flicked the ash and nothced holes in the ask but ne beetles. I dont see any beetles in my stock, but was wondering, could the heat activate them put the bastards into larve stage until several days later when they destroy? Hope not cause I have no freezer in that god@mn place.

Sonarman,

Not sure what kind of damage has been done at this point (if any), but you're welcome to use my freezer, I'm about 10 min from you across the bridge. Small charge for the convenience of course, come smoke one with me ;)

From what I've read it depends on what temp you store your smokes at. The lower the temp, down to 65 degrees slows the life cycle. At 64 degrees and below the life cycle stops and they become dormant.

Sounds like Groton to me.... I was stationed there for about 2 years and exited the Navy from there. NAVSUBSUPFAC New London right? I remember those barracks well....

I'd consider Ghostrider's offer seriously since you lack A/C and the heat is definitely coming. I don't know how often you add to your collection but if you go through the freezing process on your current smokes.... then on everything you get from this point forward you'll sleep much better at night. From what I've been given to understand the freezing process (if you can get it cold enough) will kill them (eggs included). And once they are dead, they are dead. That should ease your worries should the temperature rise temporarily beyond your control.

Of course you could also always consider investing in a Wine Cooler.

If you have not seen any beetles yet, you probably got very lucky!

From what I've read on several informative sites, beetles can hatch within 12 hours, once the cigars have reached 78/80 degrees or higher and without a doubt within 48 hours or less.

JohnnyFlake

Look for holes in the wrappers and/or tobacco dust on the deck. Got access to dry ice, that has worked for me. Keep checking every other day at least for awhile.

If I put the cigars in the freezer how long do I leave them in? I store my cigars in a plastic bag right now and yesterday the temp got up to 80 degrees in the room. The humidy was down to 67-the bag came with a chem pack that is suppose to last 6 months and I have had it two weeks:confused:

CigarGal said:
If I put the cigars in the freezer how long do I leave them in? I store my cigars in a plastic bag right now and yesterday the temp got up to 80 degrees in the room. The humidy was down to 67-the bag came with a chem pack that is suppose to last 6 months and I have had it two weeks:confused:
Credit to audio1der in this thread here as this is the short version of what I did with some. I'll C/P it here but the thread link is here as well....

/Begin Audio
"EASE THEM IN AND OUT of the cold temp!
Fridge for 1 day, freezer for 2-3 days (or more, if you like), fridge for 1 day, counter (still wrapped) for 1 day, humi for several days (still wrapped), then unwrap. It works, and won't split any wrappers."
/End Audio

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26270

Thanks guys looks like I'm in the clear and just got a funky stick. The A/C is working now and I have it turned all the way down to 64 in case is goes out when Im away, I'll have some extra time till it heats back up.

I have to wonder whether the whole beetle thing isn't a bit overdone on this site. I don't like it, but I live in central florida in an old building w/ window units, and this time of year it is difficult to keep my humi's below 75*. I know they've pushed 80* several times, but I've never had a problem w/ beetles. How prevelent are unhatched beetle eggs in rolled cigars? It seems to me like actual beetle hatching is a far less widespread problem than all the concern on here suggests. Maybe, on the other hand, I just want to believe this is the case...

sepia5 said:
I have to wonder whether the whole beetle thing isn't a bit overdone on this site. I don't like it, but I live in central florida in an old building w/ window units, and this time of year it is difficult to keep my humi's below 75*. I know they've pushed 80* several times, but I've never had a problem w/ beetles. How prevelent are unhatched beetle eggs in rolled cigars? It seems to me like actual beetle hatching is a far less widespread problem than all the concern on here suggests. Maybe, on the other hand, I just want to believe this is the case...

It can happen. I know 5 people that have had beetles. One lost his entire stash when he took a few months off from smoking and he was not checking his smokes. I sent out a stick that ended up having a beetle problem and it made me a believer that it is not that uncommon for them to show up.

Stacey

CigarGal said:

Welcome to California dry heat.. :D

I have issues sometimes keeping the humidity levels up.

Ironfreak said:
Welcome to California dry heat.. :D

I have issues sometimes keeping the humidity levels up.

shheeeez i live in AZ talk about a dry heat!!!!!!!!!!! it was 109 yesterday.

what do you do if you cannot keep your humi at normal ranges???? put em in the freezer? forever? lol...

I think we need to bring back the good old fashioned root cellar. If our forefathers smoked around the turn of the last century, chances are this is where they obsessed over their stash. :)

Larry

Back