How long to season a new 25ct humidor

Schecter30

ChestBeater
I don't have a humidifier for it yet so I put a water pillow and a small cup of water in it to season it. Should this work alright and how long should it take. I was told about 3 days or so but not sure.

What I did for my new humi as well as my roommates 2 humidors, was take a cloth and wipe down the inside with PG or solution, leave that closed for 24 hours without touching it and checking your RH. Add the cigars and humidifiing element and that should be fine, it was for mine =)

The instructions said not to wipe the wood with water/solution. But whatever works I guess as long as nothing gets warped. My hygro reads 80 right now so I'll just leave it for a few days to soak up and see from there.

The instructions said not to wipe the wood with water/solution. But whatever works I guess as long as nothing gets warped. My hygro reads 80 right now so I'll just leave it for a few days to soak up and see from there.
If it is made with either Spanish Cedar or Mahogany it will be fine and we suggest wiping distilled water / solution onto it. If it is not one of those woods, you may want to reconsider keeping your cigars in there as other woods don't hold up to humidity as well and can mold easier.

Yea but for a small humi and if you microwave the water a little before putting it in the wood should absorb enough without wiping it on there directly. The glasstop I have gets filled with condensation and thats more water than wiping it directly on i'd say.

What I did for my new humi as well as my roommates 2 humidors, was take a cloth and wipe down the inside with PG or solution, leave that closed for 24 hours without touching it and checking your RH. Add the cigars and humidifiing element and that should be fine, it was for mine =)

I have been told that this is a bad idea in the past. I have little experience with this method as I did not use it myself, but I was told that wiping down spanish cedar with PG will clog the pores within the wood over time.
:2

For my humi it took about 10 days for it to finally stabilize out. I'd wipe it with a damp (not wet) cloth about once or twice a day with distilled water, and left a shot glass inside filled with distilled water. The key here is that you must use distilled water, anything else will have minerals or other stuff that will clog the pores of the wood. After it's stabilized, you need to stock it at least half full to keep it at an acceptable level one you put your beads/PG solution in.

I have been told that this is a bad idea in the past. I have little experience with this method as I did not use it myself, but I was told that wiping down spanish cedar with PG will clog the pores within the wood over time.
:2
You're right, wiping a humi down with anything other than distilled water will only hurt it. PG goes in the humidifier, nowhere else.

You only need to wipe it once, if you have a good seal you should never have to do it again. Once your humidor is stable with your humidifier, that's all there is to it....

All you have to do is wipe it down (everythng cedar) fairly good with distilled water, leaving no puddles. Dampen a clean sponge with clean distilled water and leave it in the humi (unopened) on a piece of plastic (cigar bag works) for 24 hours. Go to it the same time the next day - check sponge and redampen if necessary. Leave another 24 hours unopened. You should then be able to put your cigars and hygrometer (preferably digital) in. Should stabilize in 1 - 2 weeks. :tu

All you have to do is wipe it down (everythng cedar) fairly good with distilled water, leaving no puddles. Dampen a clean sponge with clean distilled water and leave it in the humi (unopened) on a piece of plastic (cigar bag works) for 24 hours. Go to it the same time the next day - check sponge and redampen if necessary. Leave another 24 hours unopened. You should then be able to put your cigars and hygrometer (preferably digital) in. Should stabilize in 1 - 2 weeks. :tu

After fighting with a 100ct. for close to a year and trying all of the established routines this is the one that finally got that bastard to hold some humidity. Of course now that it's stable I'm shopping for a Vinotemp:ss

Back