How Long Without Humidification?

Txdawg

Gorilla
I have a trip coming up where I will be gone for 5 days or so. I want to take a few stogies along for the trip and I was wondering how long you have to smoke them before they would start drying out?

I have this travelling humidor that is really a cedar lined aluminum tube that came with a cigar sized tube, with some sort of cheap silicon looking material that when you add water it turns into a gel. Well that thing dried out and was tossed a long time ago so now it is just a cigar carrier.

Do I need to worry about some sort of humidification if I'm only gone for a week or so?

I guess it really depends on the RH where you will be. If you are going to be in an area of high relative humidity, you MIGHT get by without storing them in a humidor. However, hotel rooms and other places with air conditioning will make the environment very unfriendly towards your smokes. If you baggie them up good (double bag) and the environment in relatively moist, you should be OK.
I highly recommend you get one of the Otterbox or Pelican style travel humidors. Not only to they keep the RH of your smokes more stable, but they also protect them from the bumps & bruises of travel.

Txdawg said:
I have a trip coming up where I will be gone for 5 days or so. I want to take a few stogies along for the trip and I was wondering how long you have to smoke them before they would start drying out?

I have this travelling humidor that is really a cedar lined aluminum tube that came with a cigar sized tube, with some sort of cheap silicon looking material that when you add water it turns into a gel. Well that thing dried out and was tossed a long time ago so now it is just a cigar carrier.

Do I need to worry about some sort of humidification if I'm only gone for a week or so?

when do you leave? i have the perfect thing for you, HUMID-EZE sticks!! i could send you one or two, and those will work perfect!

Dogwatch Dale said:
I highly recommend you get one of the Otterbox or Pelican style travel humidors.
Just be careful what humidification you use in these. I would recommend the humibeads...the RH in the sealed Otter can get about 90% with humidification alone. The beads are good, cheap insurance. :2

justinphilly said:
when do you leave? i have the perfect thing for you, HUMID-EZE sticks!! i could send you one or two, and those will work perfect!

I am leaving October 8th, I am coming up to your part of the world...actually Conneticut to visit sister...

justinphilly said:
pm me your addy.. i have a bunch of these that i am not using..i would be more than happy to send some to you..

Ok will do, thanks for the generous offer!

DD has the right idea (above)....I'd protect more against damage than humidification problems.

I always put them in a small tupperdor and pack it in my suit case or carry-on (if I'm flying). For a week or less, I would think you'd be fine. I've never had a humidification problem while on vacation.

:)

Navydoc said:
Just be careful what humidification you use in these. I would recommend the humibeads...the RH in the sealed Otter can get about 90% with humidification alone. The beads are good, cheap insurance. :2

I agree here. My humidification wil skyrocket even though the otterboxes are airtight. I bought the little permeable tubes, filled it with beads and keep it in there when I go around w/ cigars for peace of mind.

Remember I had one I brought with me to work, was pretty dry by the time I went to leave.

Also, where abouts in Conneticut? Get an informal Herf together lol

In a pinch, I think you would be perfectly OK for 5 days using sealed, 'Ziploc' type bags. You could split the cigars up into a few different bags, so you wouldn't be opening and closing one bag many times, depending on how many you smoke each day. Between that and the most elaborate options you have numerous choices.

Another Idea is a tupperdor. I think Ive read they can stay fresh for a couple weeks no problem in there.

I only recharge my oasis once a week sometime twice a month, But then again I don't have that many cigars in there to absorb the humidity.

Back