How much of a premium would you pay at your B&M versus online?

Laserjock

Young Ape
I am just curious what people are willing to pay as a premium at their local B&M shops versus purchasing online? I know the convenience and possible comraderie that you get at your local shop is worth something to some people, but what is that worth to you?

Thats a tough question. My B&M is so expensive I barely shop there, and I really want to support a B&M. They charge $7 for an AF sungrown belicoso, my favorite stick, and I only pay it in desperation. I would gladly pay $110 in a B&M for a $80 online box, about a 20-25% markup, just to have a reliable place and get to know a cool guy that owned the store.

Laserjock said:
I am just curious what people are willing to pay as a premium at their local B&M shops versus purchasing online? I know the convenience and possible comraderie that you get at your local shop is worth something to some people, but what is that worth to you?

In my area (tax hungry Kalifornia) the B&M price is typically 2-3X what I'd pay online.

I'm quite willing to pay that premium for a stick or three a week - sorta like a cover charge IMHO, I get to hang out w/ some friends - watch a game if a sport I follow is on or even enjoy a little hold-em and a few drinks w/ the gang.

Box purchases though are another matter altogether - probably 95% of my smokes come from sources other than local B&Ms.

I have to balance my desire to support my favorite B&M with the need to also be able to afford the hobby.

So... In a nutshell I'm willing to pay a huge premium for a small percentage of what I smoke in order to be able to enjoy other benefits my favorite B&M has to offer.

Most of the sticks I buy in my B&M are singles, when I want to try something, or don't have the patience to wait for a shipment.

If I'm getting ready for a bomb, I usually head over to the devil site. My last few bombs, I've picked up at my B&M because they have a buy 12, get 3 free deal going on right now.

Dont have a B&M so I really cant say for sure.

However, being able to sit with friends is worth something.

Excellent thread.

I've been feeling guilty lately because I've neglected my local B&Ms. They are good guys. I don't want to see all of the B&Ms be replaced by impersonal web sites. And, someday, I would love to have a shop of my own.

Why have I neglected them?

First, they are WAY too expensive for box purchases.

I normally go to my B&Ms for those single sticks that I want to try or don't want (can't afford) to buy by the box.

Second, they don't carry the cigars I want to try right now ...

HdM Epi 1's & 2's, Partagas Var 898, Party Shorts, RASS (Okay, I understand ... we all have our limitations)

They just don't carry the NCs I'm smoking right now ...

LFD DL Maduro Chisel (can't seem to find these anywhere)
Tatuaje (WAY too limited distribution)
Bolivar Cofradia (JR seems to be the only vendor)

Maybe I've just fallen too far down that slippery slope. But, I'm am really worried about the future of our B&Ms. One good local B&M recently went out of business. Unless we have another boom sometime soon, I'm worried about the others.

Who do I blame? The embargo? The B&Ms? (I think they are doing the best they can) The NC cigar companies? Or, myself?

Last edited:
I would love to have a B&M to shop at and stop in for a smoke every now and then. However, here in the Las Vegas/Henderson Area the B&M Shops are beyond crazy. Most common cigars are priced 50% more than they can be purchased online and the higher quality, hard to get cigars, are priced at double and even more, than they can be purchased online.

Realisticly, I would pay a 15% maybe even a 20% mark up, above what I pay online, but greed has taken control and there is no going back!

JohnnyFlake

I would pay something "reasonable", but not ridiculous. The last time I bought a single at my local B&M, it was a Hemmingway Signature. Cost me $12.99. Mind you, I later bought a box online of the same for less than $150, approx $5.50 per stick. And the B&M really didn't offer too much as far as herfin' anyways...

Pretty much all of my purchases are now online, especially from that "far away place" ;) .

Ahhh...the classic wal-mart vs. small business debate. Simple.

If I need it now or would like to be a nice guy (convenience): B&M
If I prefer to save money and have a better selection: Internet

I am lucky though. Two close B&M's get in top shelf rare sticks frequently and sell them close to cost (if they like you). It makes me frequent them. Plus I enjoy being surrounded by cigars. I think my bottom line is I use B&M's for samplers and the web for 5ers or more...
:2

I am lucky in that I have 5 GOOD B&M's in roughly a 10 mile radius from either home or work. So, there is quite a good selection and the owners are all good guys. I do frequent one B&M right next to work, because the atmosphere is solid and the owner is quite knowledgeable. The price is usually 10-15% more expensive than the best online sites (CI, Famous, Cigar Hut etc.) for the smokes I prefer. But for me, it's a question of supporting them as well as the herf factor. Nothing like going in to buy a stick or two and watch the World Cup with a bunch of buddies during lunch time. And, if I ask nicely, I can usually get a good deal on a box or two when the new shipments come in. It's all about getting to know your local "stick men" in my opinion. :2

The devil site is entirely another story that I am getting myself acquinted with...

My local B&M also sells pretty close to cost so I buy a lot of singles from them. I have a pretty good relationship now and was even offered a part time job during school. I've herfed w/ a couple younger guys that work there this summer.

Well - maybe I'm just a dick, but I don't want to pay $1 over what I can get it (box price) for online - to include shipping. I have zero reason to be loyal to any of my local B&M's. It's not like they are dong me any favors or anything. And I don't subscribe to the theory that it costs a local B&M more to operate than a larger mail house. Take Atlantic Cigar or even Longashes2U - both are single B&M's that sell online now - and at cheaper prices than anyone local to me - and again that includes shipping.

So pay a premium? Nope -

Ron

I'm with Qwerty. There's really no decent B&M local to me. The nearest one doesn't have anywhere inside to smoke anyway. If there was something relatively nearby that could provide something more than just a place to buy cigars I would probably spend a few extra dollars there for the comraderie. So, for the time being I only use the local shop for singles I want to try, or if I need something and can't wait for shipping.

Have to agree with the others. I'll buy a few locally but any big purchases are online. Or even better friends going on Vacation to Cuba :dr .

All of the close B&M shops I have visited in my immediate area have all sorta sucked, but I still frequent them somewhat often to pick up some singles. Most of the B&Ms in my area have discounted prices when you buy two sticks instead of one and that puts them pretty close to online.

So yeah, sample at the B&M, but save the big purchases for the online retailers.

I have found a local B&M that I enjoy and has very well priced singles and a good selection. For boxes, however, I order online. For example; at my B&M I payed $5.45 for an AF 858 Natural today. To buy a five pack at CI it would cost me $5.00 per stick with shipping assuming I don't report the purchase to my state and pay tax on it (which I don't). For 45 cents, I get a knowledgable staff, a lounge in which to smoke, and the ability to purchase cigars at a moments notice, not to mention free beer and good company. The price difference adds up when it comes to boxes however, and I have never needed a box that quickly so I order online and save a few dollars.

guinsdan said:
I think my bottom line is I use B&M's for samplers and the web for 5ers or more...
:2

I tend to agree here. While my B&M is nice and friendly, he makes up for it at the register on some sticks..........he just can't compete price wise w/ some o/l vendors. Ex. 2005 G.O.F. 2/ $150 no lighters. That was after the deal....were $100/stick in coffin :tg

I tend to buy mostly from B&M and now have a regular store where I am getting to know the owner and his sister who run the place. Over here there is no real difference in cost between B&M and Online, ordering from an online store outside of Switzerland can be a lot cheaper but you nearly always get stung by customs who add duty and admin charges onto the parcel value upon receipt.

I have two B&M's where I shop. One very rarely, it is near where I work, but it is over priced. A nice shop, nice people, good selection but over priced. The other is about 20 minutes from my lady's house which is about an hour from me. This one, nice shop, nice people, good selection, free havana cutters, and their prices are more reasonable. Still a little higher, but a great place to pick up singles. So I don't mind paying a buck or so more for singles, for boxes and/or bundles well you cannot beat online.

Back