How to change wick in lighter

ky toker

Chestbeating Pack Leader
I have an old Continental lighter which was my father in-laws and thought I'd make it work. How do I change the wick? The top lighting mechanism resembles the one in the photo. Do I unscrew the small cyclinder which the wick comes out of? If it were just mine I'd apply visegrips and test it out, but this was Brandy's dads so I prefer not to rip it apart.

Pinup4.jpg

Thanks for the help,

Ken

Last edited:
Is there any wick left that you can get a hold of? Most of them don't need changed - just pull up on them and then snip a new section. The wick is normally pretty long - and no one ever trims them. I'd try that first if you can.

Ron

RGD said:
Is there any wick left that you can get a hold of? Most of them don't need changed - just pull up on them and then snip a new section. The wick is normally pretty long - and no one ever trims them. I'd try that first if you can.

Ron
I agree. If you must replace the wick, though, check the bottom of the lighter for a small screw head. Some of these lighters will come apart at the bottom to allow you to remove the old wick and insert a new one.

Now here is something I'm baffled about, why is there copper wire in the wick? Just to keep it tight:confused:

Thanks for the replies guys.

Back