How to make cotton smell like cigars?

xxwaldoxx

Lowland Gorilla
I know this is going to sound incredibly stupid, but I am stumped.

Several weeks ago I decided that I was going to do a review on Pure Ayre for Stogie Review. To test the product I decided that I would going to take 2 cotton T-shirts and make them smell of cigars. After which, I would spray Pure Ayre on one and Fabreeze on the other.

My dilemma comes when I attempted to make the shirts stink. My first attempt was simply hanging the shirts in my smoking room to let the smoke in the air stick to them making them begin to smell. After about 2 weeks of hanging and about a dozen cigars I took a good whiff of the shirts only to find them smelling like a freshly washed laundry.

Knowing that they did not make it into the washer I began to get a little confused. I know that when I smoke a cigar it sticks to my cloths (I can smell it on them If I have to throw on a shirt during the night)

At this point I got the idea to fold them up and place them into a large ziplock bag. I then fashioned a little pipe of sorts from a piece of notebook paper. I would then take a big puff of a cigar and blow it into the partially sealed bag. Then seal the bag quickly trapping a large cloud of smoke inside.

After several weeks of doing this I figured I would have to slap a biohazard sticker on the bag so no one would accidentally open it and vomit due to the smell.

Tonight I opened up the bag and took a big whiff. To my amazement they mildly smell like cigars but are all discolored (yellow and brown) from the smoke.

So my question is, did I use some miracle detergent to wash these shirts or something? I can not get these things to absolutely stink so that I can test the product.

Again, I know this sounds stupid but what do I do to make these things stink ? :confused:

Anyone think that maybe if I spray them down with a little water then blow smoke on them, it will help the odor stick to them?

Reactions: JPH
Interesting!

My suggestion is when you are done with a cigar, put it out and in with the shirt...after a few days...it'll stink...I think....so the shirt don't get dirty you may want to put the nub in a plastic baggie and just leave it open....and smoke something strong....

This may also sound stupid but did you ask someone else, a non-smoker possibly, to smell the shirts? The reason I ask is that often, I can't smell the smoke on my clothes but my wife and daughter often tell me that they can.

This may also sound stupid but did you ask someone else, a non-smoker possibly, to smell the shirts? The reason I ask is that often, I can't smell the smoke on my clothes but my wife and daughter often tell me that they can.

That's my only thought on this!

Actually, thats the first thing I thought of after I couldnt make them smell. I thought maybe I was just getting accustomed to the smell of a good cigar and couldnt notice it. I asked my GF (a non smoker) to take a whiff and she said the same thing.

I think the next step is to do what Jeremy and Dave mentioned and start adding in old cigar butts (after cooling) to help them along.

Thanks!

I know this is going to sound incredibly stupid, but I am stumped.

Several weeks ago I decided that I was going to do a review on Pure Ayre for Stogie Review. To test the product I decided that I would going to take 2 cotton T-shirts and make them smell of cigars. After which, I would spray Pure Ayre on one and Fabreeze on the other.

My dilemma comes when I attempted to make the shirts stink. My first attempt was simply hanging the shirts in my smoking room to let the smoke in the air stick to them making them begin to smell. After about 2 weeks of hanging and about a dozen cigars I took a good whiff of the shirts only to find them smelling like a freshly washed laundry.

Knowing that they did not make it into the washer I began to get a little confused. I know that when I smoke a cigar it sticks to my cloths (I can smell it on them If I have to throw on a shirt during the night)

At this point I got the idea to fold them up and place them into a large ziplock bag. I then fashioned a little pipe of sorts from a piece of notebook paper. I would then take a big puff of a cigar and blow it into the partially sealed bag. Then seal the bag quickly trapping a large cloud of smoke inside.

After several weeks of doing this I figured I would have to slap a biohazard sticker on the bag so no one would accidentally open it and vomit due to the smell.

Tonight I opened up the bag and took a big whiff. To my amazement they mildly smell like cigars but are all discolored (yellow and brown) from the smoke.

So my question is, did I use some miracle detergent to wash these shirts or something? I can not get these things to absolutely stink so that I can test the product.

Again, I know this sounds stupid but what do I do to make these things stink ? :confused:

Anyone think that maybe if I spray them down with a little water then blow smoke on them, it will help the odor stick to them?

Come smoke some cigars with the S.H.I.Ters at Excaliburs:)
.....there ventilation system sucks so yer clothes reek of smoke by time the nights done:D

Interesting!

My suggestion is when you are done with a cigar, put it out and in with the shirt...after a few days...it'll stink...I think....so the shirt don't get dirty you may want to put the nub in a plastic baggie and just leave it open....and smoke something strong....

:tpd:

Do this and place it in a warm or hot place so it can ferment.

Did you try wearing it while smoking? I mean, that shouldn't matter, but I know whatever I'm wearing always stinks. That's a wierd problem you have. I wish I could figure out what you were doing "wrong" so I could do it when I smoke and then I wouldn't smell afterwards. :D

Um take both shirts to cigar bar for a night, I always come home reaking of cigars.........

takes me days air out my jacket if I dont wash it..........

Get a couple of cheap cigars (or you could smoke some good ones if you want!) Torch it for a while and stub it out. Throw a couple of stubs into the bag with the shirts.

You know how bad an ashtrey with a snubbed out cigar smells like...

Last edited:
Or wet the shirts before a smoking session (wring them out so they are only damp though). Dampness should help the smokey air be trapped in the cloth.

If there is a B&M near you that allows you to smoke in the store, just go hang out there for 30 minutes, that should do the trick. Whenever I go to my local B&M, no matter how fast I can get in and get out, I always end up smelling like stale tobacco. The clothes smell worse than if I smoked in them.

I think you have some hardcore detergant, everytime I got into a certain b&m(there's always a 4 man herf, tons of smoke), I go straight to the walkin, come out and pay, that's like 5mins max total time spent in the store(excluding the walkin) and I'm smelling like I sleep on a cloud of smoke.

What kind of detergant are you using? I wanna try some lol seriously!

Did you try wearing it while smoking? I mean, that shouldn't matter, but I know whatever I'm wearing always stinks. That's a wierd problem you have. I wish I could figure out what you were doing "wrong" so I could do it when I smoke and then I wouldn't smell afterwards. :D
That's what I was thinking. Maybe it's got somethhing to do with the oils in your skin or something making the smoke stick to the fabric.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have a Padron 2000 Maduro Butt in the ashtray from lat night. Once I get home Im going to toss that, and the ashes into an old ziplock bag (left unsealed) then place that in the bigger bag with the shirts (that I am going to mist with some water). Once it is all sealed up I am going to set it on the floor next to the baseboard heater to ferment.

Ill add cigar butts for a few days and check it periodically to see whats going on. I dont imagine I will have a problem this time :r

Also, the shirts are plain Haynes cotton undershirts and the detergent was most likely Tide, but I really dont remember.

thanks again for the help
-Walt

Man, only if that shirt would obsorb cigar smell as much as our hair does. I know my hair smells horrible. Worst than my clothes.

Hey man, if you're desperate or just willing, send me those shirts then I'll do my best to stink them up with smoke.
If I don't succeed, I'll send you back brand new shirts.

Back