How to Roll a Cigar; More Pics from the VA Herf. (Dial-up Hostile)

Scott M

SilverBack
DSC00635.JPG

The binder is set out.

DSC00638.JPG

The filler is gathered up and bunched. The roller tries to get the same amount / consistancy along the length of the cigar, done mostly using the long leaves and by feel. More bits can be added to "less full" areas. From what the roller said, (I think his name was Louis, from Miami Cigar; Aurora Preferidos, La Aurora and Don Lino cigars), the filler is laid out in piles, and they take X number of leaves from pile A, Y number from pile B, etc. in order to match whatever particular blend the roller is working on that day. In some factories, the roller does all the work; gathering the various leaves from the forman, setting up the filler/binder, pressing, and wrapping. In others, some workers do only the filler, others bind and press the filler, while the roller wraps the final product.

DSC00640.JPG

Filler is bundled up for the binder. The filler must be straight...it can't be twisted, like rolling your own cigarette...or something else!. Twisting the tobacco leaves causes the cigar to draw harder.

DSC00641.JPG

Wrapping the filler and binder. Rolling must be consistant along the length of the cigar. If it isn't, twisting can occur.

Scott"there'smore...don'ttouchthatdial"M

DSC00642.JPG

Checking for "less full" spots along the cigar. The whole process employs a large degree of kinetic awareness, (i.e. it's mostly done by feel). If he finds a soft spot, he can add bits to that area to fill in the gaps.

DSC00644.JPG

Periodically, the forman will check the product to make sure the correct number of filler leaves have been used. Unfortunately, the cigar has to be started anew afterwords, or another one has to be started as the first one can't be saved. Periodically, inaccurate amounts result in the termination of the worker. Talk about your bad karma!

DSC00646.JPG

The foot of the binder/filler is cut to size.

DSC00647.JPG

Binder/filler is placed in the press, where it's pressed for around 10 minutes on one side, then turned over and pressed again for another 10 minutes.

More to come!!

S.

DSC00649.JPG

Cutting the wrapper.

DSC00651.JPG

Rolling. Care must be taken not to tear the wrapper.

DSC00652.JPG

The foot is cut and trimmed. The cigars he was rolling at the herf weren't capped, (see the final product below), so this process was unfortunately ommited.

DSC00653.JPG

The roller tests the draw by blowing into the foot. I didn't quite get what he's feeling for, but he can appearently tell if the draw is correct by doing this. It was a little wierd to see the cigar blow up like a baloon when he did this, although he said it doesn't affect the cigar adversely.

Great Pics I always enjoy seeing cigars being rolled. And this post wan't that hostil to us few dial up users :D it took a little over a min to load all the pics and it was worth every sec. :r

DSC00626.JPG

The final product. Depending on the size of the cigar, rollers can create between 75 and 150 cigars per day, IIRC.

DSC00654.JPG

Testing the final product. Fortunately for us, they don't do this with EVERY cigar they make!

I hope this thread has provided some knowledge to those interested. This guy was friggin' fast... my camera couldn't keep up with him!

Again, props to Uncle Mikey for letting us play at his house, and to the multi-webiste crew for making the herf one heck of a time.

Scott"tiredbuthappycamper"M

Reactions: IHT
and one of the amazing things that they were explaining was that every tobacco leaf starts out as a cigar. All the stems and everything that is cut from the leaf is used for cigarettes and chewing tobacco. Cigars are the elitest and cigarettes and chewing tobacco is the left over junk. I just found that very interesting.

what a cool thing to see! after having a custome rolled cigar from pinoyman; i would love to get to see this up close and personal!

Excellent job Scott... Sure enjoyed talking to you my friend and I hope we can all get together again..

Ms. Floydp said:
and one of the amazing things that they were explaining was that every tobacco leaf starts out as a cigar. All the stems and everything that is cut from the leaf is used for cigarettes and chewing tobacco. Cigars are the elitest and cigarettes and chewing tobacco is the left over junk. I just found that very interesting.

They said that it takes 3 full leafs, minus the vein and stem, for the filler (not sure what size they were) and 1/2 leaf for the wrapper. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Great pics guys.......saw some of the other pics with everyone smoking and joking, looks like a good time was had by all. Love the cigar rolling pics....still haven't witnessed that myself.

Here you go now you can in the comforts of home...

http://www.otoaocigars.com/main.htm

If this is not the exact link go to the "cigar kits". Robert

I was digging through the "archives" looking for old threads with "pics" that still had their links and found this. Great set of photos, and explanatory captions. :tu

Thanks for taking the time to put it together. The link in the quote is still active for those out there that just have to give rolling a try.

—Richard

Back