How to Smoke a Cuban Cigar

Interesting article you posted there. It was a Tabaccos Cordillera Sampler pack I picked up last year in Costa Rica that got me sliding down the slope.

I was impressed with how much these cigars put me at ease. I wouldn't go so far as to say that they smoke like Pre-embargos, cuz I'd never had one. I wouldn't even really compare them to current Habanos, but I do recommend smoking them if you can get your hands on them. The sampler was medium-bodied at best if I remember correctly with plentiful smoke.

http://www.tabacordillera.com/cigarstore/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=40

Uhmmm.... not to sound like a noob CS asswipe, but throw all that crap out the window and smoke a Cuban the same way you smoke a non-Cuban. Sort of like swirling the wine before sniffing than sipping. If the quality of the tobacco is there it doesnt matter how much swirling, sniffing, and decantering you do. The quality is in the tobacco and the blender/factory, etc. It is either there or it isnt. Enjoy and dont get caught up in the country of origin.

I am intersted in getting the burn going more by blowing instead of lighting the wrapper. I have a habit of never ashing on my own and I think I need to change this.

Smoking half of a good cigar is a waste of a good cigar. Just smoke it until you dislike the flavor and call it good. This might be halfway, it might be nubbin it or anywhere in between. It might even be 10 puffs in....

~S

Virtually 95% of the cigars I smoke get really, really good after the half way point. No way am I tossing it. Besides, I wouldn't want anyone thinking I was an uptight, affluent (or is that effluent?), rich, snobbish, sophisticated weenie.

After all, I'm "WyoBob", dammit. (apologies to "Gumby".)

I would be willing to bet the author can taste 7 year old burnt madagascar vanilla.

A couple nice tips, a whole lot of pretension.

I've known about purging but hardly ever do it. Do you guys regularly purge your cigars?
Brute that I am, "Yes. Especially during the 2nd half if/when the flavor goes a hair on the harsh or sour side."

And all the guy had to say was "Snork the bastage." instead of:

"Use your nostrils. When you take a puff, divert just a tiny bit of the smoke out through your nose. You'll note nuances you didn't know existed. Not a stream of smoke ... just the barest hint does the job. Note how it changes as you smoke the cigar down."

Asswipe? :rolleyes:

Interesting - thanks for posting, R'ipsa.

Some helpful hints. Very descriptive! If you can tolerate the snobbery...

I usually only purge as needed. There are certain cigars that get more tarry tasting and purging helps them, but I'd have to say I only purge <10% of the cigars I've smoked. This article did convince me to do it more often though.

Thanks for an interesting read!

I think that the opinion about the quality of the smoke past the midpoint was too general--not the case many times--and it should have been an "if" statement.

I tried the method as closely as I could, especially purging and super heating the coal, and I found it pretty effective. Although the '04 RASS could've been the determining factor.

I also thought that a quick, mini purge after a puff would reduce the amount of sooty smoke traveling through the cigar, thereby maintaining the sweetness as well.

I tried not to be too snobbish smoking the cigar by myself in the backyard, though. :D

Back