humi beads..65% or 70%

germantown rob

Chestbeating Pack Leader
I looked for opinions on who uses 65% or 70% humi beads but I can't find enough info to decide between the two. I'm about to order some beads from viper so I thought I'd ask the masses. I have a 100ct humidor and it's filling quickly so I guess I'm going to get a 1/2 pound of beads so I have for the next humi. So who likes what? 65% or 70% pros and cons of either?

thanks germantown rob (justinphily's imaginary friend)

I use 65% only because everybody else raved about 'em on this board. Been using them for months and so far, so GREAT. I don't know how they'll perform when it gets colder and drier though. Maybe with the 70% beads you can "control" your RH a little more; like keeping it around 67 if you wanted to by not adding as much water to the beads. I'll let the other gorillas chime in here...

Jason Love III said:
I use 65% only because everybody else raved about 'em on this board. Been using them for months and so far, so GREAT. I don't know how they'll perform when it gets colder and drier though. Maybe with the 70% beads you can "control" your RH a little more; like keeping it around 67 if you wanted to by not adding as much water to the beads. I'll let the other gorillas chime in here...

same, i got 65 based on everyone else's opinion. i had never had a real humidification device before so i just took the plunge without knowing which was really better. now i know i like em anywhere between 65 and about 67. so whenever i rehydrate i just put in a little extra water. dont know nor care what that means or what everything does, but it works...........

The Big Dogs will chime in on this also, 65 % is the only way. Been using the 65 % beads for a couple of months, this after ten or more years trying to keep the damn Humidor at 70 % with a credo. They smoke so much better and I seem to have fewer and fewer " plugged " cigars, imagine that

I use both but, if buying just one type, would recommend 65%. I have a bag of 65% beads in my Edisonidor, one home humidor, and my work humidor. I use 70% in my other home humidor because the 65% beads don't keep the cigars in that humidor moist enough for me. On average--and if you have a decent humidor--I would recommend the 65% beads because I think most cigars just smoke better there.

I started out with 70% beads, but after about 6 months I switched to 65%. Now it's 65% in everything. My cigars now draw and smoke much better. I would not have thought there would have been that much difference, but there is. Everyone has an opinion as to what they like and no one is wrong: it's a matter of personal taste. For me, 65% just suits me better.

Yep 65% is the way to go. I got the 70, but for some reason in my humi it keeps them at 65, and in my cooler it stays at 70. Works well, cause I can keep some smokes at one and others at a differnt rH. I will say this, from what I have read, ISOMs generally are kept at 65, there is variation in the preference for NCs, usually between 65 and 70.

For buying your first bag o' beads, I would say 65 is the way to go. Enjoy, they are awesome :w

Ditto what others have said. Based on a poll I posted before the crash, it seems the overall consensus is that 65% is best for both smoking, AND long term aging.

I went with the 65%. They keep my sticks in my coolidor at 65-67 with no problems. My cigars just seems to smoke better at 65% versus the 70%. Just my :2

just a question.. if i have a 350 cigar humidor desktop unit, which method is best for using the beads (tubes, bag, plate)

there is a deep bottom section, then two little shelves up top.. how do i ensure that all cigars are receiving the proper humdity.

Just got my order in from Viper today, cannot wait to get them in and working.

Justinphilly, I read somewhere on the board you should try and place them in a couple diferent locations. They should equalize better that way.

I also have the 65% beads in everything I own. I think the cigars smoke better when they're a little dryer.

Justinphilly, I would personally put some beads on all 3 levels. In one of my desktop humi's, I have a nylon hose with beads in the bottom with a large bead tube in the top tray. In the other desktop humi, I have a large tube in the bottom and two mediums in the tray. I would email Viper and ask him how much you should get. I know, when I asked him about another 100ct humi, he suggested either 1 large or 2 mediums. I opted for the 2 mediums. I'd rather have too many beads than not enough.

Mel

Justin, depending on the configuration of your humidor, you might want to go with a combination of a couple tubes, and a perforated box. Right now, I have three of the 5.5" tubes for my 100ct. Reed & Barton Biltmore, but I'm looking for the 'perfect' clear container to mount on the lid, so that I have even more buffering capacity.

The upside to the tubes is that you can always yank one out and drop it in a ziplok bag, to ensure your smokes stay at the perfect RH when travelling.

Check 'em out on Dave's site.
http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/1 ounce.jpg

I have 2 150ct humi's that I keep at 65% RH. I use 2 large tubes of humi beads on each and I'm always holding steady between 65% - 67%. I have 2 40ct humi's too that I use 1 large tube of humi beads and they are always holding steady at the same RH. I just think the cigars smoke better at 65%. 70% causes too many issues for me while smoking. Always having to relight and touch up on the burn. At 65% I've never had a problem. Well, that's my :2 I hope that helps bro.

I ordered 1/2 pound of the 65% beads last night from viper. Thanks for the response you all made it an easy decision.

Germantown rob

Back