Humi Control...

thunderbucks

Guerilla
I feel like I'm having some issues with my humidity control. I feel like I'm re-fueling my beads too often, and perhaps more important, I may not have enough beads.

I did the measurements, and according to some suggestion site, they seemed correct. I have a 120 ct. humi (appx. 16 x 10 x 8 in), and I got 2.5 oz. of beads. I have yet to get a hydrometer (yes, I know, I'm a terrible cigar-ist), but my sticks just seem drier than they should be.

I hear people being specific about their RH, such as 68% or 70%, but I don't understand how this is possible. When you open your humi, wouldn't that almost ruin the conditions that were inside it? (That is, of course, unless your standing environment is 65-75 degrees with 68% humidity...)

:confused: :confused:

Although in time the humi will stabilize to the RH the beads were designed for, there are a lot of reasons why the humidity could be low in the humi, from it needing more time to stabilize, to leaks. The only way to measure it is with a hygrometer - you really need one before you'll be able to start to figure out what the problem is. You're flying blind without knowing what the RH is.

How long has the humidor been set up? Did you season it, then fill it up with sticks? If it's seasoned, then you throw a ton of smokes in there, they're going to suck up the moisture depending on what they're at RH-wise. I would say, if you're recharging the beads that often, you've got a leak in the humi. Have you tried the flashlight test?

I agree though that you need a hygrometer before anything else. I would also calibrate it before using it.

Mel

How long has the humidor been set up? Did you season it, then fill it up with sticks? If it's seasoned, then you throw a ton of smokes in there, they're going to suck up the moisture depending on what they're at RH-wise. I would say, if you're recharging the beads that often, you've got a leak in the humi. Have you tried the flashlight test?

I agree though that you need a hygrometer before anything else. I would also calibrate it before using it.

Mel

Since January.

Yes, but part of what might be the problem is that there aren't a lot of smokes to suck up the moisture...I've never had more than 15 in it at once. I feel like I have just this dead air space that as soon as I open the humi just adjusts to whatever.

What's the flashlight test?

Put a lit flashlight in your closed humi and take it into a dark room to see if any light leaks out. If it does, that's where your humidity is escaping.

Out of curiosity, are you keeping the majority of your beads wet enough to be clear?

I feel like I'm having some issues with my humidity control. I feel like I'm re-fueling my beads too often, and perhaps more important, I may not have enough beads.

I did the measurements, and according to some suggestion site, they seemed correct. * I have a 120 ct. humi (appx. 16 x 10 x 8 in), and I got 2.5 oz. of beads. ** I have yet to get a hydrometer (yes, I know, I'm a terrible cigar-ist), but my sticks just seem drier than they should be.

I hear people being specific about their RH, such as 68% or 70%, but I don't understand how this is possible. When you open your humi, wouldn't that almost ruin the conditions that were inside it? (That is, of course, unless your standing environment is 65-75 degrees with 68% humidity...)

:confused: :confused:

Since January.

Yes, but part of what might be the problem is that there aren't a lot of smokes to suck up the moisture...* I've never had more than 15 in it at once. I feel like I have just this dead air space that as soon as I open the humi just adjusts to whatever.

Ok, here's some thoughts for you. Number one, the * by two comments: That may be a problem in its own. Having only 15 sticks in your humidor means there's a lot of empty air taking space. If you're not getting a good seal, then air is allowed to circulate and thus drier air is moving in and sucking out moisture.

My preferred way to check for a good seal (besides the flashlight test) is to use sliced strips of a carbon-less duplicate sheet along the sealing edge (the kind used in printers and so forth, usually while/yellow or white/pink) and simply drop the lid of the humidor closed from about 2-4 inches up (depending really on how sensitive the papers are to impact, so test that a bit beforehand).

If you see strike marks at all then you don't have a good seal. Ideally it should be so tight that it will cushion the lid at the crucial moment and slow it down to the point where there is no strike mark (or at worst a VERY faint one). If it closes too fast, aka a bad seal, then it will leave a very defined darker strike mark.

For point number 2, AKA **, may I suggest: http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=2&scid=7&pid=88

Those are amazingly accurate, and rather nice to look at. I have four in my various boxes.

until you have a way to measure the RH, there's no point in trying anything else-how would you tell if whatever you did is working or not?-get a hygro, calibrate it, then check back to let us know what the conditions are-until we have that info, it's hard to say what's going on-hope this helps

until you have a way to measure the RH, there's no point in trying anything else-how would you tell if whatever you did is working or not?

I don't need a hydrometer to tell me whether or not my cigars are poorly humidified. Do I need one to tell me the difference between 65% and 68%? Yes. But 50% and 68%? I'll first spend my money on more/better humidification.

Also, If you have a good seal and enuf beads you can pretty much bet that it's going to be rock solid on whatever the beads are set to be at. Taking exception for the times you add new sticks and open it up etc. I have 65% beads and three digital hygrometers. Two of them read 65% and the third reads 66% pretty much all the time unless i do something that can alter it. I always used more beads than is recommended, and spread them throughout your humidor as best you can. It allows for longer times between bead recharging, a more consistant humdity throughout, as well as quicker recovery of the RH when you do something like add more sticks to your humi.

~S

I don't need a hydrometer to tell me whether or not my cigars are poorly humidified. Do I need one to tell me the difference between 65% and 68%? Yes. But 50% and 68%? I'll first spend my money on more/better humidification.

ah, grasshopper, it appears as though i have insulted you-for that i am sorry-i just assumed there was a reason gauges were included w/most humis-without proper equipment it is hard to perform the job-your money, of course, is yours to spend as you see fit-i can tell you (by using heartfelts website) that for the measurements you gave, 2.5oz is plenty-BTW, it's hyGROmeter-i wish you good luck in solving your problem

Back