Humidity beads in pantyhose

Mindflux

Lowland Gorilla
Those of you who store your beads in panty hose... do you re-hydrate them right through the pantyhose or do you undo the knot and hydrate them that way?

:tpd:

I when wetting them i just place the sacks on a towel & spray. I flip them over & do the other side, then flip them over again to dry any droplets. After that they are ready to go back in my cooler/humi.

i just squirt them down, pat them a bit to dry off excess water on the outside and then stick em back in.

Under the category of more information than you asked for, here is an excerpt from Steven Weintraub's document titled "Demystifying Silica Gel". This excerpt can be found in section 5.1.B-sub-titled "Adding Moisture"

The direct addition of water through mist spraying or immersion is not recommended, since the high heat of decrepitation causes silica gel beads to crack and fragment. Although silica gel retains its hygroscopic properties, the overall response time of silica gel in a tray will slow down because of denser packing from the mix of large beads and smaller fragments.

Anyone who has experienced the "snowy powder" in one of their humidors knows first hand what this paragraph is referring to. In this same section of Steven Weintraub's document you will find other methods of rehydrating Silica Gel Beads that do not cause this condition.

If you care to download the document in a PDF format I have posted it on one of my web pages. If you are the type of person that finds this "nuts & bolts" stuff interesting you'll love all of this technical data and a bit of history regarding Silica Gel.

http://web.mac.com/tzaddi/iWeb/Cordero/Tobacco_files/silica_gel_SW_2003-1.pdf

"Keeping it Moist" :tu

—Richard

Steven Weintraub is a Conservator/Environmental Consultant

Back