Humidity problem

webjunkie

ChestBeater
So almost through the dry Colorado winter here, and I'm thinking about re-seasoning my desktop humidor. The whole winter I've been having trouble with keeping it above 60% humidity. It probably has to do with the weather, but I've had trouble with humidity ever since I moved out here. Now the only thing I haven't done yet is re-season the humidor. I calibrate the hydrometer regularly, and there are more than enough beads in there (keep in mind it's only about a 40 count). Will re-seasoning help solve the humidity issue, or am I just hoping for the impossible?

First thing I would do is check the seal on your humidor. It's possible with a drier climate and a less than adequate seal that your humidification is not being retained.

Okay, cigars moved to the overflow tupperdore, and I'm off in search of a flashlight.

Edit: So standing in a dark closet with a flashlight inside the humi, I can't see any light escaping. There is an audible woosh when I close the humi. Also, if I close it on a thin piece of paper, then there is enough friction to provide significant resistance. There seems to be a seal, but then again, I've been wrong before.

Last edited:
I'm right there with ya WJ... I have two glass top humi's that I can't seem to keep above ~60%. These are both quality, name brand humi's that have always sealed well and maintained a rock solid 70 with beads. They both have approximately three times the minimum required amount of beads. They both have recently calibrated digital hygro's. Both hygro's have been calibrated again and again. The weird thing is both humi's pretty much always maintain about the same RH of each other +/- a percent or two. The only explanation I can come up with is the environment in my house. The air isn't all that dry though, it's usually around 45 to 55% and the temp is in the mid 60's.

I just found the space in my coolidor for the sticks out of one them, and now I'm going to try to reseason it. Hopefully we both end up with good results!

Okay, I took the cup of water out last night and just checked on it. Currently at 87%. I'm going to wait till it comes down to about 70% to put anything in, so fingers crossed.

Luckily, all my cigars are doing nicely in my tuppedor, which is recovering from being opened so I could put in four Padron serie 1926 #35 maddies and two Ashton VSG Robustos. MMMM, makes my mouth water :cb

Entire process is done, and I am going to tentatively be calling this venture a success. It's had cigars back in it since the weekend and it's holding steady at 65%. Hopefully this will last.

Back