Humidity Problems - In and Out of the Humidor

billybarue

Luvin' me some Lagavulin
I cut a Black Pearl Cobre Toro last night and pre-light draw was like a straw. The cigar felt OK, and the humidor is pretty consistent 65-67% humidity. I liked the cigar but way too easy draw until about 1/5th into it. I was thinking that the humidity on my patio here in Louisiana helped to slow the burn as I went along? the Black Pearl construction is not nearly as "solid" as the next cigar.

This morning I pulled out my first Gurkha Legend. Very pleased with the flavor until about 1/2 way through a phone call made me almost let it go out and had burn problems from there til the end.

My questions are:

1) It seems "solid" well constructed cigars are best stored at lower humidity @ 65 RH. Whereas, looser cigars should be stored at higher Humidity (say 70%) to give them more body. Is my thinking correct on that, and if so should I store the looser and tighter smokes in separate humidors?

2) How much does a humid environment affect the cigar when you are smoking. For example the Black Pearl seemed to burn better as it went (a looser cigar smoked in a humid environment), but the tighter Gurkha Legend burned less well as it went along down here in Swampland USA. I assume it was picking up more of the humidty in the air and that was impeding the burn. I worked out for the loose draw in the BP, but kind of killed the Legend.

3) side question - this was the first time I noticed trying to "puff" a cigar back to life and producing an acrid taste. Especially compared to how good the Legend was before that.
After that experience I assume it is better to torch it back up. the puffing produced not a great taste and probably started the cigar to tunnel. Does that seem correct?

Thanks for the time,

BillyBarue

billybarue said:
I cut a Black Pearl Cobre Toro last night and pre-light draw was like a straw. The cigar felt OK, and the humidor is pretty consistent 65-67% humidity. I liked the cigar but way too easy draw until about 1/5th into it. I was thinking that the humidity on my patio here in Louisiana helped to slow the burn as I went along? the Black Pearl construction is not nearly as "solid" as the next cigar.

This morning I pulled out my first Gurkha Legend. Very pleased with the flavor until about 1/2 way through a phone call made me almost let it go out and had burn problems from there til the end.

My questions are:

1) It seems "solid" well constructed cigars are best stored at lower humidity @ 65 RH. Whereas, looser cigars should be stored at higher Humidity (say 70%) to give them more body. Is my thinking correct on that, and if so should I store the looser and tighter smokes in separate humidors?

2) How much does a humid environment affect the cigar when you are smoking. For example the Black Pearl seemed to burn better as it went (a looser cigar smoked in a humid environment), but the tighter Gurkha Legend burned less well as it went along down here in Swampland USA. I assume it was picking up more of the humidty in the air and that was impeding the burn. I worked out for the loose draw in the BP, but kind of killed the Legend.

3) side question - this was the first time I noticed trying to "puff" a cigar back to life and producing an acrid taste. Especially compared to how good the Legend was before that.
After that experience I assume it is better to torch it back up. the puffing produced not a great taste and probably started the cigar to tunnel. Does that seem correct?

Thanks for the time,

BillyBarue

1. I think a bad draw, loose or tight, is all about construction when they are stored at a proper humidity. Proper humidity is personal choice.

2. I don't think it would soak up that much humidity within an hour.

3. You puffing on the cigar made it get hot, therefore it tasted acrid and it probably wanted to start to tunnel. Purging could help.

:ms NCRM

no. 2: An hour is nothing.........:tpd: (I live in cleveland....humid all the time)

Think im right in saying a high RH makes the cigar swell slightly which may affect draw a tiny bit but is more likely to do things like swell against and burst thewrapper.

Here in the UK Hmidity fluctuates between 60-80% and my cigars never seem that affected by it when im smoking it.

whenever i relight a cigar after smoking it for a bit i always get a nasty taste usually immeditaely from torching the end and the smoke being hot but theres always a background stale taste that ruins the gar imo.

1. RH definitely can affect the draw. Too much and the draw will suffer.

2. An hour shouldn't affect it.

3. Slow down...drawing on the cigar to quicker (or too hard) will get it too hot, creating a harsh and bitter smoke.

Hope this helps!
~Mark

Back