Humidity question! Please help!!!!

I

INSSANE

OK. I have 17 or 18 cigars (I know, but I am a college student and have expensive taste in cigars:7 ). Anyways, I have them in a 100 ct. humidor and bought a digital humidity gauge. The humidity gauge always says between 34 and 39%!!!!! I have the cheezy humidifier that came with it and I bought another small one, but these do no good. I have very good cubans in there that are begining to dry out.

Do I just need a bigger humidifier? If so, what's a good (not the most expensive) recomendation?
What else could the problem be if that's not it!?!

Thanks for helping a newbie.
Nick

Insanne,

Try doing a salt test on your guage. These was a recent discussion topic on this that can be found in the archives. Are you using distilled water only or 50/50 mix?

TAK

Nick,

This question seems to come up quite often..first thing I would do is raise the number of cigars in the humidor..17-18 cigars in a 100 box is low..cigars help hold humidity. If you have only less than 25% of it full, the humidity is not going to hold as well. Did you season the humi properly & calibrate the hygrometer properly? I suggest buying a bundle of cigars like La Unicas that don't cost a lot of $$ and are a relatively good smoke, just to help keep the RH up..Also, check and make sure the humi is sealing tight..take and put a flashlight in the box & close it. If you see any light pouring out of the edges, the seal isn't tight. Most likely though, I would start by re-seasoning the humi & then adding more cigars.

Also, check the archives..this discussion has been brought up many many times..

-Justin

although it might be no consolation to you (i've been in college and know what it's like to not be able to buy smokes), the increase in cigars that justin mentions might help to stabalize the RH once you get things corrected. i know i had trouble keeping a steady RH back when i had a 100 count and very few smokes. now that i have too many smokes to smoke in a much larger humi, i can leave the lid open for 10 or more minutes and still not see a drop in RH.

anyway... do the salt test on your hygro and reseason your humi if needed, and try to fill it up a bit with smokes to keep a steady RH.

INSSANE
The salt test is good. One thing I did to make sure my hygrometer was operating properly , was take it to a local cigar store and let my hygrometer sit in their humi for a day or two. I have a reliable dealer who I trust and his equipment. One way to get your humidity up ,especially if you don't have enough cigars is to add humidification. I know this sounds elementary, but I have a spare 100 count cigar that is currently empty. Guess what ? Maintains perfect 68-70%.I don't know how new or old yours is , but if it is new, try putting a regular sponge cut in a 2"X3" shape (get one that has no additives) in a SMALL tupperware container. At first since your humidity seems low, totally soak the sponge where it is still dripping
before putting it in the tupperware. I gaurantee your humidity will come up. Again, if your humi is new, you may be able to take this out and use regular "cheezy" devices after it has a chance to charge. But if it works I would continue to use the sponge.
One other option. This one is a life changer.
Cigar Oasis.Cigar Oasis. Cigar Oasis. I can't say it enough.
They are awesome. $85.00 on the net. Shop around.

Back