Humidor cooling question

newcigarz

CJ's Dad
Currently my central A/C is on the fritz. The temp in my cabinet is on a steady rise. :mad: Has anyone tried putting freezer packs in to temporarily cool down their HUmi? I was thinkin one cool pack in a ziploc placed in the back could keep the cabinet from going too high until I get my A/C fixed.

Any Idea?

Yea I have used the blue ice packs in my humi. I just set them on a towel inside the humi. Doesn't seem to affect my RH at all. I used the large sizes. Although I do have a cooler. With a cab, I would be extra careful to not let any condensation get from the packs to the wood. I used two and in my cooler I only had to change them out in the morning and at night. YMMV.

i'm currently using large blue ice packs in my coolers-both wrapped in tshirts for the condensation-i only need to change them every other day-one cooler holds my humis & the other my boxes & overflow-seems to work well so far-just don't put the pack on top of a glass top humi, it caused condensation inside-luckily i caught it quickly-they seem to drop the temp 10 or so degrees

In these situations I use the blue ice packs placed inside a large plastic cup and I set that on an absorbent coaster. I then point an Oust fan directly at it...forced air:D

I check it once a day depending on what the remote hygrometer says, at that time I change the blue ice and empty the water that has condensed in the cup and change the coaster if necessary.

You could wrap your humidor with a damp towel or set a damp towel on top and let the evaporation take care of lowering the temperature. This is in effect how our body works when we sweat and our sweat evaporates to cool our body down.

You could wrap your humidor with a damp towel or set a damp towel on top and let the evaporation take care of lowering the temperature. This is in effect how our body works when we sweat and our sweat evaporates to cool our body down.

I thought about this but worried about the wood warping.

I thought about this but worried about the wood warping.

I'm doing the same thing. Take some saran wrap and place it on top of the wood. Then take a towel, drench it with cold water, and rinse it good. Place the towel on top, fold the edges up so nothing is touching wood. You're set.

tried the towel thing b4, dropped temp like 4 degrees-sticking the humi in a cooler w/a blue pack has worked best so far (10 degrees)

Currently my central A/C is on the fritz. The temp in my cabinet is on a steady rise. :mad: Has anyone tried putting freezer packs in to temporarily cool down their HUmi? I was thinkin one cool pack in a ziploc placed in the back could keep the cabinet from going too high until I get my A/C fixed.

Any Idea?

You have a basement ?

You have a basement ?

The house was built in 1865 so the basement is not anyplace I would want my smokes. The central A/C was added @ 6 yrs ago prior to me buying the house.
I has worked off/on over the last few years so normally this would not be a
problem. :ss

Back