Humidor for Iraq

Br00klynBoricua

Young Chimp
Hey everyone,

I'm currently deployed to a remote area in Baghdad and I was wondering if you have any input on what type of humidor I should be looking to get out here. We have just hit the dust storm season and I want to purchase a humidor that can withstand the elements. The sand out here is very fine and still manages to get into buildings and what not. I'm looking to acquire a humidor and can hold at least 100 cigars. I'll be out here for another 9 months. Any suggestions?

-Mike :ss

Check with the other CS members in the sandbox. I have seen threads where the Pelican Med cases have been converted and also someone converted a .50cal ammo box. A regular wood humi would probably be difficult to maintain Rh unless you kept it in an air conditioned space. :2

I have a 100 count humidor I got off CBid and a Cigar Oasis XL keeping the RH where it needs to be. I haven't had any problems yet. The thing gets dusty on the outside, but I haven't had any get in the humidor itself. I keep it wiped down. I know a few guys out here that use the Pelican cases and they like them, but they are a little expensive. Hope this helps...jason

also someone converted a .50cal ammo box. :2

Yes, this is a good idea and works fine, if you manage the humidity. Cut down a cedar cigar box to fit the inside dimensions of the ammo can (.50, 5.56, or even MK19 cans work). Water pillows work for the inside, they don't seem to dry out as fast.

Stay away from wood.

The Tiki Hut uses a Coolerdor, but as bobarian says, you need to keep it inside in the AC and it's a constant fight to keep it at the right humidity. For a smaller cache, ammo cans are best.

If I could keep the Humidor in an air conditioned space, what kind of wooden box would you recommend?

-Mike

Typically humidors are made with a spanish cedar. None the less anything that can be a humidor or converted as one will work out here.

I purchased my 100 count from CI and it works like a charm. I keep my room air conditioned and its usually 67-68 degrees F, and it usually holds at 66-67% humidity. Other options I have converted to is the ammo can with cedar pieces from cigar boxes to get rid of the ammo box smell. In addition I have purchased a round igloo drinking cooler out here. ALL of them work fine which ever way you decide to go! Good luck!

Ok. I have a little red cooler I brought out here with me. I am using Humidipaks to keep the humidity regulated. I plan on getting more cigars shortly, so what else should I get for the cooler to keep around 100 cigars fresh?

-Mikey

Its as easy as Cigars, Humipacks, and temperature.. the only thing you may need is a digital hydrometer. you can pick one up for a few bucks! Your set brotha, nothing else needed!

Back