Humidor help-again

OtterAKL4987

Blathering Elite Wannabe
I have had my humi since June and it has been pretty inconsistent ever since. I have checked the seal (done the light test several times) used masking tape and a draw catch to improve the seal and it still seems that it will flucuate 2-3% daily. I am also using beads. When I first started out I rushed the seasoning process a little I think. Could this be my problem? Would I benefit from taking all the cigars out and re-seasoning it? This is terribly frustrating and any advice would be appreciated.

I have had my humi since June and it has been pretty inconsistent ever since. I have checked the seal (done the light test several times) used masking tape and a draw catch to improve the seal and it still seems that it will flucuate 2-3% daily. I am also using beads. When I first started out I rushed the seasoning process a little I think. Could this be my problem? Would I benefit from taking all the cigars out and re-seasoning it? This is terribly frustrating and any advice would be appreciated.

If you've had it since June, then it's already at least a month and a half into use (assuming end of June). It is already seasoned now, just due to having beads w/ humidity in it.

How much is your temperature fluctuating daily? That can be a contributing factor to RH fluctuating, esp if the swings are quick. If the temperature swings are gradual, the beads can probably do a good job of regulating, but if you find short time periods for the temp to swing one way or another, the beads can take some time to do their thing.

Also, are you open and closing it numerous time a day? How much beads do you have and what size is your humidor?

I don't think you have a problem.

I get a 2-3% swing (62%-65% RH) everyday
depending on the temperature
and how long I leave my humi open when selecting a smoke,
but my cigars still smoke great.
:tu:tu

I have a 50 count humi and 1 ounce of beads. I'm not terribly worried, but I hear everyone raving about the beads and the humi being rock solid at 65% for months or weeks. Thanks for the advice.

I'm not terribly worried, but I hear everyone raving about the beads and the humi being rock solid at 65% for months or weeks.

You will get some fluctuations 1 to 2 degrees with the temperature changes. I think when you see anyone raving about the beads keeping the humidity solid they mean day to day, IMHO. I have my humi in the dining room and during the afternoon the sun will hit the window on the opposite wall. The temp in the room may rise a degree or two and so will the RH% in the humi. By night it is back at 65%.

Back