Humidor Problems....

Cadillac

Evolving Lead Gorilla
My Humi is driving me crazy! It used to maintain good humidity, but is now giving me problems. I've tried re-seasoning, adding more cigars, adding sponge with solution, Almost everthing except the beads. Just don't know what the issue is. I am using a digital hygrometer, and have tested it too. The humi has never hit 70, but always stayed between 65-68.

Any ideas?

I've just added two shot glasses with sponge & solution, and will check it on weekend.

My Humi is driving me crazy! It used to maintain good humidity, but is now giving me problems. I've tried re-seasoning, adding more cigars, adding sponge with solution, Almost everthing except the beads. Just don't know what the issue is. I am using a digital hygrometer, and have tested it too. The humi has never hit 70, but always stayed between 65-68.

Any ideas?

I've just added two shot glasses with sponge & solution, and will check it on weekend.

65-68 is a dream..... keep it there!

Any ideas?

You have no problems.

You are were everyone wants to be. Just maintain it and you will be all set.

65 - 68 % is perfect I would relax rest your mind and smoke.

I too was overly concerned with humidity but eventually you relax and enjoy. if your anywhere between 65 and 70 your in the clear.

No, I mean it used to maintain in the 60's, but doesn't anymore. It now will hover at around 58-62. That's why I added the shot glasses with sponge & solution.

No, I mean it used to maintain in the 60's, but doesn't anymore. It now will hover at around 58-62. That's why I added the shot glasses with sponge & solution.

LOL, hope I didn't initiate the confusion...sry

well since it didn't drop too drastically I think the shot glasses of water should slowly bring it back up.... if your impatient like me.....(not sopping wet just damp)...wipe down the inside of the humidor with DISTILLED water.....wait a day than check it and repeat...

I agree with the other. 70/70 is overrated I used to have burn problems all the time at that. I backed it down to 65 and now have no issues. Yhour sitting golden let it stay where your at.:2

How long have you had the hygro? You might want to try new batteries.
I doubt the humi suddenly went bad and it sounds like you have a ton of water in it.

forget the solution, just use distilled water
better yet switch to 65% beads

yeah, i would say your most likely culprit is either low batteries in your hygrometer or a bad seal in your humidor. you should recheck the seal on your hygrometer as something may have happened since you bought it.

I just got my 65% beads, and after putting them in my humidor shot up to 72%. it is starting to level off now. i think they are pulling some of the moisture out of the wood, hence the higher humidty

Really appreciate all the input! Apart from the ugly looks, anything wrong with using the shot glass/sponge/solution on a permanent basis?

Really appreciate all the input! Apart from the ugly looks, anything wrong with using the shot glass/sponge/solution on a permanent basis?

The beads will become saturated and your humidity will get so high that your sticks will begin to grow mold. :p If I had a problem with a humidor I would rather it be on the dry side rather than the wet side while the problem sorts itself out. IMO.

And if you're using a traditional green-foam humidifier, it won't absorb much from the shot glass at all. So when the humidity does come back up you'll be looking seeing readings in the 80% range.

If you want to test the seal of the humidor then empty it out, grab a flashlight and stick it in the humidor, close the lid, and turn off the lights, if you have any light leakage then your humidor isn't sealing like it should.

Last edited:
Back