Humidor question

how would you go about exposing the wood, because i imagine it's veneer, so i don't even know if you would be able to?

i may be wrong about that, however

andy

how would you go about exposing the wood, because i imagine it's veneer, so i don't even know if you would be able to?

i may be wrong about that, however

andy

Veneer still has some thickness all i am trying to do it antique it. Just like this picture

bedroom19b.jpg

Veneer still has some thickness all i am trying to do it antique it. Just like this picture

bedroom19b.jpg

I don't think that something like this would cause problems. Just make sure that you post up some before and after pictures if you do it.

I have a humidor that is black and plain, I know that i can spice it up a bit by making it look a little rough but I will expose a little bit of wood. So the question is after exposing some wood will i need to seal it again? Or will it be fine with some bare wood showing?

It is the same as this one just in black....

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=M-1576-16&cat=10

The humidor itself in NOT wood.

The exterior of a solid colored humidor is most likely paint with a gloss finish.

The example you show to illustrate what yours is syled like has an exterior likely a film made to look like wood.

Thats how the prices are kept so cheap.... you really think they are made just like the expensive ones but being sold at bargain prices?????

If you want to give it a touch of "antique class", why not find an old cigar ad & paste it on the lid?

I think a combo of the previous two ideas would look pretty cool along with some box seals.

Unless you want to pinstripe it and add some chrome. Oh wait, wrong antique.

I work in high-end furniture with an expert refinisher who has request like this all the time. For non lacquer items he would strip and re-varnish. For lacquer, he always refuses because you never know how it will turn out. I don't believe that you would be happy with the result. The lacquer may have been applied to MDF as opposed to solid wood. Exposing the MDF, or even trying to distress the lacquer isn't the best idea. You will not see grain.

You could bring it to an artist and see if they could airbrush or paint it.

Back