Humidor roller coaster ride. Just won't stabilize.

demiurgic

Don't Worry, Be Happy.
I won a 200 count Heritage Estate humi from Devil's site, used an open tupperware container filled half way with slightly warm distilled water, threw in 65% beads, and let it sit for about 2 weeks.

It never got under 70%. I live in nearly 100 % humidity, in the tropics of Hawai'i so.....got a little worried.

Because along with the humi, I went nuts and purchased what is to me, an insane amount of cigars, like a 100 + of them. I really broke the bank on this one. picking what you folks recommend the most. Mostly from Devil's site, CFO and TNT's PAM alts.
By the way, I totally understand why it is named Devil's Site ...after checking it 2 times a day everyday, I get it. I get it, the 'Slippery Slope' reference and all. I liken it to ladies and their shoe shopping addiction. Same thing guys. ...Really...

So after 2 weeks into the seasoning, I just had to put the stogies in cause outside humidity is too much here. 100 or so filled the 200 count, as expected BUT.... upon examination, I realized the inner cedar walls of the humidor were wobbly. I stuck a flashlight in it at night, and I could see a pin prick of light on 3 out of 4 corners. WOOT! culprit was found.

So I called them, and Devil's Site sent a new one over right away, told me return the old one with shipping receipt and they will refund my Visa. I'd rather USPS than make them pay UPS from Hawaii to PA, for this huge box. Not cool.

Problem is the new one's inner chamber is wobbly too! :confused:
So I stuck little toothpick ends to seal the inner chamber from the outer. I stuck these in the middle of the two chambers, pushing the inner walls together closer, so they would stay tight.

In the end I realize why stuff 'Made in China' is so damn cheap. Period.

So it's been a day since I am trying to stabilize the second one, with fingers crossed.

What a roller coaster start to a brand new hobby

This is the first time I ever bought cigars really, smoked them occasionally here and there but after giving up Marlboro Red's (pack a day for 8 years), Cigars are a welcome change and not nearly as abrasive to the human body.

Needed to vent, Phew. Will update this post as things happen.

Last edited:
Re: Humidor roller coaster ride. Just will not stabilize.

What is the rh in the new one? When seasoning, do not put the beads in. They go in when the cigars do, after seasoning.

What is the rh in the new one? When seasoning, do not put the beads in. They go in when the cigars do, after seasoning.

Just leave container of distilled water then?> without the beads? is that all?

Yes. When the rh reaches over 70 for a few days, take the water out. Let the rh naturally come down to 68-70%, could take a few more days. Then add the beads (60% wet) and cigars. If the rh is still too high after a few more days, completely dry your beads so they can soak up the excess moisture.

Last edited:
Back