Humidor taking the flavor out of my smokes?

Nathan52789

Newbie in the jungle
I'm not sure what is going on here but, it seems that all my smokes that I leave sitting in my humidor for longer than a few months lose their flavor. I have a local B&M here that I buy from weekly and those taste much better than the ones that I have had sitting for several months. I'm currently using 65% beads from Heartfelt. If anybody could give any advice as to why this is happening it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan

Nathan,

I think there are a lot of things that could do that. One thing that comes to mind is mild cigars which I used to love now seem to have lost their flavor, now that I smoke mostly stronger cigars.

Maybe you just prefer the taste of a younger smoke. Aging smokes tends to balance and mellow them out.

perhaps rotating your stock would help.
Does that affect flavor? If so, I'm going to get rotating right away >.>

But to aid the OP - some non-Cuban smokes don't do well with aging. Also, most smokes mellow out with age, and some people like that, some don't. Perhaps you're accustomed to the stronger, more brute, fresh taste. If you like that profile, then smoke faster :ss

A few months is not considered "aged". Do you know how long some of the smokes you buy have been in the b&m's humidor?

Also may see if a slight change in RH could affect things.

Most B&Ms I have been to have the horrible habit of keeping things at 70% during the day (which means it's only gonna go up at night)... You may just like your cigars 'wetter'...

Can't hurt to get some PG solution, or PM me and I'll send you a water pillow... maybe a day or two at a higher RH is what the doctor ordered.

BTW, I smoke everything at 65% or less, but I'm just throwing out stuff to see what sticks.

What temperature is your humi @? I've found that with cigars stored @ higher temps the flavor is compromised. When I moved back to AZ from CA I noticed my cigars were tasting different in a bad way, so I made a temperature controled unit and after a few weeks in the freezador the problem was solved!!

Back