hygrometer problems

P

pmoney5950

In my humidor, I have two hygrometers, a big one that came w/ the humidor, and a small one that I picked up a while back at a cigar store.

I have calibrated both of them using the same method (1 tsp of salt in a milk cap w/ just enough water to make it like wet sand, put in ziplock back and wait 24 hours, then set to 75%.)

However, in the humidor, I get two different readings nowhere near close to each other. For instance, I just opened my humidor. The big hygrometer on the lid says 68%. The small one at the bottom says 60%.

Could the simple fact that one is on the bottom and the other is on the lid be the cause of the different readings?

I'm not sure which one to trust.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Thanks,
-Paul

You'll find that they're...Jesus I can't think how to word this...

The levels of inaccuracies are not consistent on the entire spectrum of the hygrometer.

Say you put both calibrated at 75 percent hygrometers into a 90 percent humidity environment, one may read 95, the other may read 85, yet bring them both back down to 75 and they'd level off and both show 75 on the nose...

You'll notice that most of them promise an accuracy rating in a sectioned off area of readings (+ or - 4 percent from 65-85 for example)
Their accuracy can go way off if you get very high or very low.

I too have a small hygrometer that came with my humidor, that reads a 75 percent on the dot, but if it goes any higher, it starts claiming silly readings of up to 85/90...Kind of interesting comparing it against something a little more reliable. (I too have a second LCD one now that seems more consistently accurate (though still 3 percent out on the 75 percent mark)

I reads around 67-68 most of the time now, so I can hazard a guess that it's around 70 percent in there, which is good enough.

I'd just go on how your cigars taste and smoke if I were you and toss one of the hygrometers...It's an interesting science experiment to watch them in conjunction with one another, but it is a little confusing if you try to work out which one is more correct.

Rob

"...I'd just go on how your cigars taste and smoke if I were you"

I couldnt agree more

Try putting the meter in a mason jar with the salt mixture. After you 8 hours go set it for %75. Wait another 8 hours and go check it. Bet it doesn't say %75. Set again and repeat the process until you get to within %2. Usually this takes at least 2-3 times with a new one. After you get it right, with a wax pencil write on the back add %2 or what ever you are off by.

Emo

Back