I am really confused...

Grumpy Dano

Lost In The Jungle
Not sure where to start. I have only been smoking for a little over a year now and its only been the last four or five months I have been sliding away searching for good taste in what I am trying. I think in the past year I have tried over a hundred or so different smokes and I have had good ones and a few really bad ones, or at least to me they were bad. But tonight a strange thing happened.

First a little about my self...I am very much a newb to cigars; never smoked a cigarette in my life. I did smoke some illegal stuff back when I was much younger and stupid and I worry that may be causing me to not have the correct senses to really enjoy this new found love I have for cigars. I mean I am trying hard, maybe a little too hard to find the different tastes during the smoke, and I am learning to do the nasal thing and it seems to be getting me more appreciative of what I am smoking.

Ok to tonight....

Back in early May I purchased from CI, a 10 pack of Gurka Signature 101 Maduro's. The first one I tried , I didnt like at all. I did not make any notes but I remember the burning was bad and the taste was even worse, to me. I smoked a couple more over the next month or so with the same results. I just didnt like them. After trying those few more I gave up on the remaining five I had and just left them in my humidor. Tonight tho fighting a bout with insomnia I went outside to my mancave, which is a gazebo, sort of, in my back yard and decided to give it another try; I dont have much in my humi and even a bad smoke is better than no smoke right?

So I go out with just the sound of the locust and an occasional fed-ex jet coming into the hub and fire this stick up once again expecting the worse but I really needed the comfort and mind mellowing you can get from a good smoke.

Did I ever more get a surprise; it was good, no, it was DAMN good; start to finish. The burn was outstanding, the ashes were perfect, and the taste...yeah I said taste was unlike any other of this particular stick I have tried. I mean I smoked the thing down to the finger burning nub not wanting it to go out. I was completely confused as to why the others had been so bad, and this one was so good. I am learning the nasal trick and I actually sensed the flavors changing and all of them were great.

So why?

I know I needed to go out there and do some reflecting on some issues i am having but why all of a sudden did this cigar, which I had not enjoyed a bit before all of a sudden come around and turn into a very good smoke? Is that a normal thing to happen?

When I smoke it eases my frame of mind, not that it needs easing, but being as old as I am, it does ease me to really enjoy a good cigar, and tonight this stick was awesome. I just dont understand what happened? I was fully ready for a lousy smoke, but what I got, was what I needed.

Damn this slope.... or am I trying too hard to make up for lost time? Or is it you got to be in the right frame of mind to slip further down the slope we all talk about and totally enjoy the ride.

At least I got four more to tempt me into seeing if I just am imagining things or not.

Guess I just needed to vent a little on my total confusion....thanks for listening to my rant.......

-Danny

Couple of thoughts on why this one was better than the others:

1) Some time in the humi made this cigar come around
2) Your tastes are changing, I know when I started smoking, I loved some cigars that I don't like now and couldn't stand some of my now favorites
3) Sometimes what you eat and drink before and during the smoke can change the taste entirely

Not really sure why though, could be any of those, or other reasons. Enjoy the good smoke and keep on slidin' down the slope!:ss:tu

You're not confused, Grumpy, you're learning!

A couple of things to consider. First, these cigars may have improved considerably since you bought them. It's not unusual at all for a cigar to taste "off" right off the truck, but after a couple months in the humi to show improvement. I hated the 101 maduro the first time I smoked it as well, but found it got better with time.

Second, your state of mind. I smoke medium bodied cigars for the most part because the full bodied stuff gives me a nicotine jolt I just don't care for. However, after a really bad day, I love a Camacho Diploma or a Pepin Blue, a big badass heavyweight cigar, and at those times the nicotine doesn't touch me. In fact, I think I love those times better than the easy going relaxing smokes I usually enjoy. When I smoke one of those cigars at one of those times it's almost a mind-altering experience.

But more than likely it's a combination of the two. Keep on experimenting. This is the way, the Tao of cigars!

Enjoy the journey!

2) Your tastes are changing, I know when I started smoking, I loved some cigars that I don't like now and couldn't stand some of my now favorites

:tpd:

Reason #4--It was a Ghurka. I have had miserable ones and great ones a day apart. Sometimes it is hard to believe two smokes in a fiver were made in the same factory.

:mad:

3) Sometimes what you eat and drink before and during the smoke can change the taste entirely

Not really sure why though, could be any of those, or other reasons.

I picked up the exact same ghurka sampler and have been reluctant to try another one because the first one was so bad. I tried the first one at 6mos and was going to wait for 12mos for the next to see if it improved any.

Back