i can't stop nubbin' you...

thebiglebowski

Lowland Gorilla
...so i've made up my mind... or whatever. Ray Charles does it better than I.

Anyway - the subject is this; i almost always nub my stogies. nub 'em right down to my toes. er, fingers, rather. unless the cigar is a truly objectionable experience, i take 'em way past the point of smokability. and yes, i can tell when the cigar is no longer tasting good - gets hot, gummy, tarry. i guess, being a reformed cigarette smoker, i just can't help myself.

fortunately for me, this doesn't change my perception of the cigar, it's fine points, etc. but i'm curious - how many of my newfound brethren do the same thing?

I have only done that with a couple of cigars - both ISOMs. If I really like the cigar enough to smoke it past the band, I just reach into my humi and pull out a second one. No sense burning the eyes or fingers.

To avoid the tarry/bitter taste, try purging the cigar. There are threads about this somewhere.

I usually do if time permits or the taste doesn't get too bad. I have a hard time letting go of it and always want just one more puff...

I'll smoke 'em until they're no longer enjoyable. If I'm still enjoying it while my fingers are sizzling, then that's cool. :)

Needle nosed pliers work well, but that is a rare happening. Maybe a six or so in the last three years. (You should listen to Don Gibson's version of the song.)

galaga said:
Needle nosed pliers work well

Old habits die hard, don't they?

I'll smoke a cigar until its done. Sometimes that's when my mustache singes, sometimes there's a whole lot of cigar left. It depends on my mood almost as much as it does the cigar.

If I don't nub it , I almost feel as if I'm wasting it , kinda like throwing away edible food . But if it's bad then I'll chuck it . :D

thebiglebowski said:
...so i've made up my mind... or whatever. Ray Charles does it better than I.

Anyway - the subject is this; i almost always nub my stogies. nub 'em right down to my toes. er, fingers, rather. unless the cigar is a truly objectionable experience, i take 'em way past the point of smokability. and yes, i can tell when the cigar is no longer tasting good - gets hot, gummy, tarry. i guess, being a reformed cigarette smoker, i just can't help myself.

fortunately for me, this doesn't change my perception of the cigar, it's fine points, etc. but i'm curious - how many of my newfound brethren do the same thing?

If you were a real big time ex cigarette smoker, you would be taking the cigar butts, taking them apart and rerollling them if you found yourself out of smokes. Just think of how tasty that would be with a bunch of old cigar butts.:pu

I will smoke it till I can't take it any more, when my eyes burn and it gets hot time to put out. But a great cigar makes you want to hold on a little longer.

I saw a picture a short while ago while browsing the net. A fella had a toothpick stuck through the nub. I tried this with my first Habano, a PSD4. I smoked the nub down to about 1/2". I probably looked like a jackass, but it was worth it.

croatan said:
I'll smoke 'em until they're no longer enjoyable. If I'm still enjoying it while my fingers are sizzling, then that's cool. :)

:tpd: I smoke them down until the taste gets hot and harsh. Usually it about an inch or two from the end.

i deffinitly nub most of em, i really prefer Coronas and Robbies so i kinda have to.. hehe

some of the best advice i ever recieved was not to force myself to finish any smoke, even a 20 dollar amazing one. when your done, your done. a cigar is to enjoy so dont force any of it down, and if your smiling it was worth the money regardless :)

that said i revert to my first comment...

Generally, I'm a nubber and will smoke till she's no good. No pliers or clips here, just a good old-fashioned toothpick. Now, if I'm in proper company, I may abandon the barbaric practice and opt for a second stick to retain some semblance of civility. It’s hard and an affront to nubbers everywhere, but it’s an exercise of discipline, depriving one’s self of a puffing pleasure, and proof that my passion has yet to consume all of my social grace.

Sometimes its hard to put down a good nub, but i find I like the last third of a cigar the best. I smoked the Gurka Boer to the last third because I was hoping it would "kick in" and turn out OK. Alas I was disappointed so I let it die with a good 2-3 inches left.

Last night I smoked a CAO Italia (also the first one I'd ever had) but this was great from the get go, so it went right down to the 1/2 " nub before it became too difficult.

To wrap it up: I smoke till I'm done, but I don't usually waste too much!

I'm a nubber. Too cheap to waste any of a cigar.

The reamer on a pipe tool works well too...just poke it into the cigar and hold it and it'll save your fingers a lot of grief. Unlike a toothpick, it won't catch fire...and unlike the tiny screwdrivers that you use for computer work (assuming your pipe tool is of decent quality), it won't impart a metallic taste when the metal gets hot.

CrazyFool said:
so most of us nub...anyone taken it to the 'roach clip' level yet? :D

I don't have any roach clips big enough for 50 RG cigars. I was thinking of using jumper cables.

Back